Old j valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scotthowes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was given two steel 72's.one of the tanks has has a smaller inside diamater than than normal.also the neck is higher.the tank has air and the valve works.the on off is located on the top with a reserve.my question is if it passes hydro,vis,ect. Is it ok to use and can i buy a new valve with that smaller diamater?

The tank has 1/2" NPT opening. Old J valves are perfectly fine to use. Most just put the reserve in the down position and use their SPG. 1/2" can be rebuilt without much difficulty.

Last edited:
If you don't want the J-valve, ask around your local dive shops, they may have a 1/2" pipe thread K valve.

I wouldn't bother buying a new valve. Old steel 72 tanks are dime a dozen, but new oddball valves aren't. If you don't like the valve design you've got, just keep an eye on Craigslist for the next few weeks. Something will pop up.

The big expense with these old 72's is getting them hydroed, tumbled and having the old burst disks changed out. I find that I often get the tanks for $25 or less then end up spending $60 getting them checked out.

Used steel tanks are like hens teeth around here. I had the other tank done a while back (3/4"ID).LDS told me they wouldn't hydro other because of tank(ID)I Now have place that had no problem doing it.My concern was the valve.

The valve should be OK, but check the burst disk. Those old valves did not come with burst disks, they came with blow out plugs. If it has the blow out plug (basically a lead slug), replace it with a burst disk. If it's already been replaced, you should be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom