Woot.... 1983 US Divers tanks passed Hydro and VE....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Culcuhain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked it up as a gamble at a local garage sale for $20.
$56 for the hydro, vip+, and Eddy Current....

and I now have a tank of air.... woot.

Pretty tank... it was either going to be a tank with air, or a really cool lamp. :)

Today is a good day!

I have four seventies vintage tanks that are in hydro and VIP that I still use but it's getting harder to find fills. I or a member of my family have owned these tanks since they were new and as such I know without a doubt the entire history of each tank...... Good luck and enjoy!

I have a '74 and a '76 tank set, old low pressure 2250 and 1800 PSI tanks. One passed Hydro the frist trip I took it to the shop after purchasing them, but the other just has no ID on it thatthe shop can match against the governments risk management agency database of tanks. To be hydroed here in NZ tanks need to be able to be IDed as to who made them... so since one has a Norris-Thermador makers mark it can be hydroed and was hydroed. the other passed visual but the shop can't find any makers mark, or match anything to a serial number...

Buying cheap old tanks is a crap shoot, but when the dice roll comes up your way :D cheap is good :D
56 sounds pricey for a hydro tho, mine cost me $40 including vis, no eddy test required here. That's about 32 US

Other than my pony bottle, I don't think I own any tanks newer than 1976, so that one is a newbie. Seriously, congrats.

As requested... pics...

Attachments

• IMG_20110419_182019.jpg
    IMG_20110419_182019.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20110420_174104.jpg
    IMG_20110420_174104.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 79
This is a nice clean tank and that was the plan if it failed. A manly lamp for the mancave. :)

I failed my 83 tank and a 79, I changed out twin al's and gave the old ones, 79's to a dive bud that can get them filled, I changed out another to put matching colors is when the 83 was see, and my one match color is a fail. so I put my dacor al 63's on manifold they are 86 tanks. When I get more new 80 al's I will change out. One year left on hydro so I'm changing out, although I know these tanks are great. just have nothing to buy that I need so this is just to keep dive gear happy.

I will die whith my al 50's there from 73 and are still like new inside, at almost 40 Years they have stayed great I only do hydros every 10 years, and vis a couple years. When I fail a tank, a dive shop would pass, I like them perfectly clean inside.

Happy diving

As requested... pics...

I have a pair of those sitting in my garage. I can't get local fills for them anymore, but they are still good tanks. I'd love to make a set of lamps from them, but they wont fit into the current decorating scheme.

I love the old stickers and graphics. Wish I could find a current maker of them so that a dead tank could be repainted and stickered for lamp or display use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom