Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henrik242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I scratch my head every time I try to convert between imperial and metric tank sizes, but figure it out in 10 or 20 minutes.

In order to save my hair and time I created a calculator that converts between these values. In addition it shows the buoyancy of the tank when full/empty, adjusted for steel/aluminum tank and fresh/salt water.

It doesn't look very fancy since I've made it compact enough to use on a smart phone.

Here goes: Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

All feedback is very welcome! I've probably made an error in there somewhere, or misconfigured or left out a common predefined tank. Or maybe you weird americans use other ways of measuring tanks that I haven't thought of? :)

(EDIT: By the way, it's made with inline javascript, so you can save the page to your phone and use it without network coverage)

Last edited:
HEY !!!!.....Who you calling a WEIRD American !!??.....You guys still driving on the wrong side of the road ;O ????!!!!!...We have more roads and more cars, that's why it's the RIGHT side......SO THERE ;D !!!!

"weird americans" is redundant :wink:

However.....living in a partially metric country, I do like your calculator.

HEY !!!!.....Who you calling a WEIRD American !!??.....You guys still driving on the wrong side of the road ;O ????!!!!!...We have more roads and more cars, that's why it's the RIGHT side......SO THERE ;D !!!!

Hehe. Norway has never had left-side driving, so no weirdness here :)

Last edited:
I scratch my head every time I try to convert between imperial and metric tank sizes, but figure it out in 10 or 20 minutes.

In order to save my hair and time I created a calculator that converts between these values. In addition it shows the buoyancy of the tank when full/empty, adjusted for steel/aluminum tank and fresh/salt water.

It doesn't look very fancy since I've made it compact enough to use on a smart phone.

Here goes: Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator

All feedback is very welcome! I've probably made an error in there somewhere, or misconfigured or left out a common predefined tank. Or maybe you weird americans use other ways of measuring tanks that I haven't thought of? :)

(EDIT: By the way, it's made with inline javascript, so you can save the page to your phone and use it without network coverage)

Something is way off in your calculator. I use a table and the key buoyancy is the empty in sea water with valve. For XS Scuba HP tanks (lbs):

tank table calculator
80 -3.0 -6.5
100 -2.5 -1.5

Something is way off in your calculator. I use a table and the key buoyancy is the empty in sea water with valve. For XS Scuba HP tanks (lbs):

tank table calculator
80 -3.0 -6.5
100 -2.5 -1.5

The XS Scuba HP tank values are slightly different from the "default" HP80 tank (80 cuft, 3442 psi, 32.6lbs) in the calculator.

Regardless, here's the calculation for a XSScuba X7-80 tank (81 cuft, 3442 psi, 27.7lbs). It still differs from XSScuba's own buoyancy values, I guess it's because I don't account for valves and manifolds (which would add about 2 lbs to the tank weight):

1 atmosphere is 14.6959 psi. The internal volume of the tank is 81 cuft / 3442 psi x 14.6959 = 0.3458 cuft
Steel has a density of 490 lbs/cuft. The steel has a volume of 27.7 / 490 = 0.0565 cuft, so the total volume is 0.3458 + 0.0565 = 0.4024 cuft
The density of salt water is 64 lbs/cuft, giving 0.4024 x 64 = 25.7536 lbs
Air has a density of 0.07647 lbs/cuft. The air in a full tank weighs 0.07647 x 81 cuft = 6.1940 lbs

An empty tank has a buoyancy of 25.7536 lbs - 27.7 lbs = -1.94 lbs (XSScuba table: -3 lbs)
A full tank has a buoyancy of 25.7536 lbs - 27.7 lbs - 6.1940 lbs = -8.14 lbs (XSScuba table: -9 lbs)

Since I don't really know anything about how an HP80 is defined, would you say that the XSScuba X7-80 is a standard HP80 tank? (Considering it holds 81 cuft instead of 80 etc)

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 09:53 AM ----------

By the way, there's something fishy with XSScuba's tables.

The metric table says that the X7-80 weighs 13.1 kg, which is 28.9 lbs. The imperial table says that it weighs 27.7lbs, which is 12.6 kgs. If I download the table as PDF, it says that the X7-80 weighs 29.9lbs, which is 13.6 kgs. (I've sent them an email about it)

Last edited:
here is another calculator, with a list of common tanks in several countries: UK Scuba - Cylinder Buoyancy Calculation

Thanks, I've looked at those. But the "mystery" about if there's a standard AL80/HP80/HP100/HP120 still remains for me, since almost all of the tanks in the UK Scuba list are measured in litres.

It's so much easier here, at least for my head: We commonly have 10, 12 and 15 litre tanks, and they are 200, 232 or 300 bar. If I want to know the tank capacity, I just multiply litre with bar: 12 litres x 200 bar = 2400 litres of air.

I got an answer from XS Scuba, by the way: «Thank you for the feedback on the tank specs. We will take a look and make any corrections needed.». Yay!

Back
Top Bottom