Wetsuit/drysuit Pocket Questions

Do you prefer your wetsuit/drysuit pockets on the thigh front or centered side?

• In front of the thigh

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Side, centered under the armpit

Votes: 31 88.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerrapinWetsuits

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there Tech Divers! Terrapin Wetsuits has been adding pockets to wetsuits for 6 years now, but we're hearing more controvery about the size and placement of the pockets. So, I'm asking Scuba Board Tech divers for their opinions, and to see if there are any published "standards" from the Tech-certifying agencies. Based on directions from an IANDT certifying school in Houston, TX, we've been putting two flapped pockets on the front thigh of wetsuits: a flat pocket (8 x 6") on the right thigh and a bellows pocket (9 x 7 x 1.5") on the left thigh. The pockets are put in front, rather than on the side, but I've gotten feedback from divers in other areas that prefer the pockets on the outside (centered under the armpit).

So, please respond with your preference for size of pocket(s), for pocket location (on wetsuit or drysuit), and the reasons for these preferences.

Tanksalot... Terrapin Wetsuits

side placement means your hands aren't under you & perhaps stirring the silt while you try to get something. also, an upper grommet is very handy so you can put a bungee loop in the pocket to make it easier to snap things on & off.

oh, and check out a thread called 'shreck exley' on thedecostop.com to see one of your shreck hoods in action! he loves it - says it's a great size & shape & thickness. i like how bubbles come out the ears. :)

Babyduck explained it well. Front pockets require you to drop your knees or bend your back forward to reach the contents. Something you want to avoid if the (cave) floor is silty. Side pockets allow your to drop your shoulder towards your hip and access the contents without other parts of your body getting too close to the floor.

Front is a bit old skool.
Side is a more recent incarnation/refinement.

I have had thigh pockets and have never really had a problem just reaching them without contorting my body at all. In a horizontal trim position I am able to reach my pockets. It may be where I placed mine.

I have not tried side pockets,but your reasoning does make sense. I can not think of any good reason not to have side pockets if you are on backmount. I think sidemount divers might have a different opinion.

2 bellows for me please, and yes the top end/side grommets would be a nice addition! :wink:

I have had thigh pockets and have never really had a problem just reaching them without contorting my body at all. In a horizontal trim position I am able to reach my pockets. It may be where I placed mine.

I have not tried side pockets,but your reasoning does make sense. I can not think of any good reason not to have side pockets if you are on backmount. I think sidemount divers might have a different opinion.

I had front mounted pockets on my Northern Diver drysuit. They worked but I did tend to drop my knees while accessing them. They probably could have been placed higher on the thigh and avoided that. But I suspect ND though I would be flutter kicking in the suit...

Somewhere between the two options would be good for sidemount. Its not too big of deal getting to the side pockets around the tanks, just kind of annoying.

If you are trying to present a minimal profile to the water, then thigh pockets are about the worst place you can have them. Also consider that when you do bungie things in the pockets, and take them out, having them on the side keeps them higher. Personally, I keep things like my wetnotes, backup spools, and other things in there that dangle when pulled from the pocket. I don't want that stuff hanging any lower than necessary.

Additionally, should you actually NEED to get negative (fighting flow for instance) it would be good to not be dragging the pockets over the rocks. Bellows pockets make quite a large profile. Also, I have no use for a bellows and a flat. I put two bellows on my drysuit and never looked back. I also placed the pockets on my suit so that I can reach in and get things without having to break trim.

Another vote for pockets on the side.

As indicated by Marci, front pockets possibly drag and would represent the low point on the body of a frog kicking diver in normal horizontal swimming position. Plus as Perrone sort of alludes to, in a restriction where you both want your vertical profile as shallow as possible and would be dragging front mounted pockets over rock, etc, front mounted pockets would be a really bad idea.

With a stage bottle a front mounted pocket is also a bit of a PITA as you end up having to work under or around the stage bottle anyway and the side mounted pocket is easier to reach.

As for bungees, I prefer two grommets in each pocket 1 fore and one aft in the "side" bellows portion of the pocket at the top. Alternatively, just sew in loops of 3/16" bungee about 4" long in the same locations.

Height of the pockets is important as well. I have found it works best if the bottom of the pocket is about 2-3" below your finger tips when you are standing straight up (assuming a normal 8-10" deep pocket). If it is too high it interferes with the waist strap, D-rings, etc and can be hard to get into. If too low, it interferes with the bending of the knee and can eb hard to dig things out of the bottom of the pocket.

-----

The Shrek Exley hat was very popular in cave country and every one I encountered thought it was great. They were by definition actual cave divers engaged in actual cave diving. The reception on the deco stop has been luke warm, but then half those guys don't actually dive on a regular basis anyway. I suspect that when they are not on the internet many of them sit around fondling their seldom used gear and watch Chuck Norris movies trying to pick up pointers on how to look cool. People like that will never truly appreciate or have the confidence to wear a Shrek hat. Its kinda sad that they miss out on the fun things in life.

I need to get Marci a princess tiara but I'll need to order one in pink.

Thanx to those who have responded to the poll and to the questions. Since I'm not a cave diver myself, I really appreciate the information passed on. From now on I'll make it clear to my customers that they should indicate their choice of location. Many of you mentioned grommets on the sides of pockets. I just wanted to let you know that I put drain-hole grommets at the bottom of the pocket and an interior stainless steel D ring inside, for clipping off gear. Since our pockets are made of stretchy neoprene, the grommets can work their way off of the neoprene if pulled hard enough, but that can't happen with the D ring. Best regards, Chris @ Terrapin Wetsuits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom