The Fling cancels all(most) June trips to Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Will be working with oil spill thingy.....

We were on the June 10 thru 12 trip, just got a phone call.....Was waiting for this to happen though, they did the same thing post Ike....

click link......Fling Charters

Ruh, roh....

I'm supposed to be on the "teachers cruise" in July. This doth not bode well...

actually, they've cancelled all trips through early July...next trip will be July 10, and from what I'm reading in the paper, BP's only somewhat realistic hope of stopping the oil leak is in August when the releif well is supposed to be done....assuming nothing else goes wrong down there, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the entire 2010 schedule cancelled.

I was told yesterday on 'the call' that it was gunna be a month to month decision........I would expect it to go thru July---if not (a lot) longer....When we do 'get there', it will be almost like virgin diving, lol......,,

Surely it's only a matter of time until the oil has made its way to the FG.

No, I believe the way the currents run that oil contamination is more of a direct threat to FL and the east coast of the US than to the FGB. The effect on gulf species overall may be a different story but the TX coast is quite a nursery for gulf species also.

But I do wonder how abandoning the FGB customers this year will effect future business. I'm sure the government and BP are paying well but I'll probably be replacing my two annual trips the FGB this year with an additional trip to the Caribbean.

No, I believe the way the currents run that oil contamination is more of a direct threat to FL and the east coast of the US than to the FGB. The effect on gulf species overall may be a different story but the TX coast is quite a nursery for gulf species also.

But I do wonder how abandoning the FGB customers this year will effect future business. I'm sure the government and BP are paying well but I'll probably be replacing my two annual trips the FGB this year with an additional trip to the Caribbean.[/QUOT

Ditto on your last part--I'm 'bout thru with them.....but, you can't blame a fella for making a buck....

I understand this is upsetting to many, but in Ken's and Sharon's defense, they have no idea what the rest of the season will look like. The bank doesn't understand when when you can't make payments just because there is no sport diving/divers available to fill the boat. The last 3 years were devestating to the liveaboard diving community. Ask the owners of the Nekton boats or the Gulf Stream Eagle. Heck, ask any liveaboard owner.

Melanie and I made a different decision, but I can't find fault with the management of the Fling for theirs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom