Anyone dive Blue Hole in Georgetown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryBDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Stopped by there today and it looks about as clear as Lake Travis. I was wondering if anyone had ever dove there or anywhere in the San Gabriel river around Georgetown.

Thats a great question.

I used to go there all the time to jump off the cliffs before they closed that down. Was a really fun place back in the day....

why is it called blue hole?

why is it called blue hole?

I can tell you it's definitely not blue. 20 years ago I can remember not being able to see anything when I used to swim there. The San Gabriel river has little to no flow right now and might be kinda nasty.
Lake Georgetown has 2-3 foot vis down to about 20 feet.

Last edited:

Attachments

• smdsc.JPG
    smdsc.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 8,795
A friend and I dove it back three or four years ago, not much to see but feet and mud inches in front of your mask.

So, I stumbled upon this thread today after a google search. I was just there and the water is clear enough for a shake down. I would like to head out there tomorrow morning for the firsh check dive of the season. Anyone want to join? I know this is a dead topic, but hopefully this will get it back up to the top!

---------- Post added March 31st, 2012 at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was March 30th, 2012 at 12:49 PM ----------

Noone showed up, but I didnt dive because my octo purge button is frozen solid. I will be back out there this afternoon.

Did you ever get to dive in?

Long time passsed since last thread but just saw this and I'm planning on going down there this Saturday. I dived it several times during the spring of 2012. Viz ranged from 10 ft to 20 ft easily. Max depth is 14 ft. You can swim up stream as far as you want. No current. Plenty of fish and plant life, especially on the wall where folks jump. It was just as enjoyable, maybe even more than the Comal and a lot closer for me. Beginning of summer though, the algae forms on the surface and not very inviting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom