Looking for references on Sea Sports Scuba in Woodlands TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rwardjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am a total newbie and need to go for training and buy required gear. I stopped by the store and they seemed pretty nice; visited with a young lady for a bit, she's was quite kind.

Does anyone have any comments on hanging my hat there? I have no buds that dive so really no one to ask.

Many Thanks
Robert

Sea Sorts is the 800 lb gorilla in Houston, with 5 stores. They have a corporate mentality, not a individual one. With that said, they will certify you properly, competently, and industrially. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. My wife used to work for Sea Sports, and they have some awesome instructors, although I don't know anyone in the Woodlands store except Jesse. Chat with your instructor before signing up for class. Be comfortable with them. Make sure your pool instructor will be your OW instructor.

Frank

Hi Robert,

I don't know the reputation of all the stores, but I do know one of the instructors at the Woodlands location: Robert White.

He's a solid instructor who's been teaching for years. He's got a unique style and incorporates many of his own personal stories into the material to make it more interesting. He was actually my original OW instructor when he worked at another SCUBA store in College Station, TX. He's a competent diver, an informative instructor, and an all-around good guy.

I'm sure other instructors there are good, but I can personally vouch for Robert.

Hi Robert,

I don't know the reputation of all the stores, but I do know one of the instructors at the Woodlands location: Robert White.

He's a solid instructor who's been teaching for years. He's got a unique style and incorporates many of his own personal stories into the material to make it more interesting. He was actually my original OW instructor when he worked at another SCUBA store in College Station, TX. He's a competent diver, an informative instructor, and an all-around good guy.

I'm sure other instructors there are good, but I can personally vouch for Robert.

I didn't know Robert wasn't in College Station anymore. X2 for Robert.

I took DM from them(not anything else as i was originally certified in SSI). My experience with the instructors was pretty good. I havent been around any bad instructors in Houston.

I work about 5 miles from the Woodlands location. As stated, that company is all over Houston. That's the reason I get my tanks inspected there, always a location nearby to get fills (get free air fills when they do the VIP). That's about the extent of my experience w/them, but the employees are always very courteous to me.

I worked for Sea Sports back in 1994. Like Wookie said, they have a corporate mentality and have been very successfull for many years.

Figure out how far you are willing to drive in Houston traffic to get to a scuba shop. Then check out all the shops that are in range. Since you are in the Woodlannds, Sea Sports may be your best choice.

I've dealt with 2 Sea Sports Scuba shops, in Katy and the one on Westheimer. Both treated me good. I did a refresher course at the Westheimer shop and it was very well done. Equipment prices are much higher than the online sources - no surprise there - but they are knowldgable and I didn't get too much of the high pressure sell approach, other than the standard "it's life support, do you really want to do that?" comment when talking about used equipment. Overall my experiences have been good.

Just some general statements about shopping for a shop: (nothing specific to Sea Sports or any other shop)

Don't forget to try gear before you buy, you do not have to have all your gear for the certification class. The shop should provide wet suits, tanks, BC, Regulators, etc. (if not find another shop)

You probably will want your own "personal gear", mask, fins, snorkel, boots, and gloves. See if they have different fins you can try in the pool before you buy a set. Remember you DO NOT have to buy all your gear from that one shop. Stuff is expensive and don't feel bad to look for a good deal, or ask the shop to price match or come close. (it does help to have a local shop that does service the brands you do buy) But do not fall for the "you will die if you don't buy from me" tactics, or if they refuse to service something not bought from them (if they carry/service that brand).

Try as many brands of BC's you can find, each manufacturer makes things a little different and everybody is a little different, so search around until you find something that fits YOU like a glove and has the features YOU want.

Depending on how much you plan on diving initially, try renting for a while and buy the stuff bit by bit, spreads out the capital outlay. Renting also gives you a chance to try other gear from other shops. The first piece of gear I always suggest people buy, after their "personal gear," BUY YOUR OWN WETSUIT.

Good luck and have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom