South Padre Island Artificial Reef & Port Mansfield Liberty Ships Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seth Patterson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few pictures from this past week's diving adventures provide a glimpse of what lurks beneath our Gulf waters...

We dove two sites over two days. The first day, Monday, was a trip to the South Padre Island Artificial Reef Site, located 7 miles off shore from the Port Mansfield Jetties. On this trip I was along to assist a University of Texas at Brownsville graduate student with his research. His project is geared towards trying to identifying fish species and artificial reef usage using side-scanning sonar. While his project requires a lot of time running back and forth with our research vessel, scanning with his sonar, it also includes scuba diving to look at and compare visual (actual) fish species and congregations to later compare with his scans. This site is between 60 and 70 feet deep and is typically a barren expanse of sand and silt. In 2007, Texas Parks and Wildlife Artificial Reef Program reefed thousands of large concrete culverts and other similar structures along the bottom. This hard substrate has attracted loads of encrusting invertebrates, such as sponges and corals, and provides shelter for smaller fish and other sea creatures. This in turn also attracts larger predatory fish, such as Red Snapper. Conditions here are typically highly variable, with visibility ranging from two inches to 20 feet. While not the clearest water, I find the sandy bottom to be filled with fascinating and seldom seen sea life. Certainly one of my favorite dives. The surface conditions were flat calm, a truly beautiful day off shore.

2014-08-25_7d_0098.JPG

An incredible assortment of encrusting algae, sponges, corals, and other invertebrates covering a concrete culvert.

2014-08-25_7d_0051.JPG

Red Snapper school over a sea-whip encrusted concrete culvert.

2014-08-25_7d_0106.JPG

A Spotted Scorpionfish not too thrilled with my close approach...

2014-08-25_7d_0088.JPG

Snapper Eel burrowed down in the sand.

The second site we dove, on Wednesday, was the Port Mansfield Artificial Reef site, which I've discussed in my previous post. This trip was for another graduate student working on Red Snapper population dynamics. We did two dives at two different oil platform jackets which were placed here back in the 1970s by TPWD. As the water is considerably deeper here (100+ feet), the upper water column, where the rig raises up to 60 feet, is typically much clearer. Snorkeling on the surface I could see the rig sitting below so I feel confident in saying visibility was a hazy 60 feet. Large schools of Amberjack were hovering around the platforms along with lookdowns, rainbow runners, cobia, baracuda, red and gray snapper, sheepshead, and a whole assortment of more tropical reef fish like blue angels, cocoa damsels, Spanish hogfish, porkfish, and I even saw three Mardi Gras wrasse! The water is still sitting at 70 degrees from 24 feet and lower, which is a bit cool for this time of year, but it's always nice to get underwater. Here, the surface conditions were much, much different! We went from 1-3 foot seas on Monday to 4-6 on Wednesday. Large thunderstorms were also rolling in along with the waves. From one minute to the next the bright, warm sun would be blotted out by dark clouds, cold wind, and pelting rain. It was quite exciting and made for a much more interesting trip!

2014-08-27_7d_0005.JPG

Amberjacks hover over a reefed oil platform jacket

2014-08-27_7d_0120.JPG

Amberjacks schooling around the oil platform.

2014-08-27_7d_0028.JPG

UTB Graduate Student Surveying the site.

2014-08-27_7d_0108.JPG

A large Spanish Hogfish foraging along the metal pipes of the reefing oil platform.

2014-08-27_7d_0036.JPG

A colony of Telesto coral growing off a reefed oil platform.

2014-08-27_7d_0116.JPG

Barnacle encrusted pipes of an old oil platform.

2014-08-27_7d_0064.JPG

Amberjacks schooling in black and white!

2014-08-27_7d_0151.JPG

This Blue Angel wouldn't let me get very close, but it's such a pretty fish I thought I'd share it anyways.

2014-08-27_7d_0156.JPG

Porkfish looking a little nervous...

2014-08-27_7d_0173.JPG

Another small colony of Telesto coral.

2014-08-27_7d_0196.JPG

Graduate student giving the scuba paparazzi the sly-eye as I sneak a shot of her detaching a data logger.

2014-08-27_7d_0112.JPG

A little too small for my 15mm fisheye, a beautiful little Tessellated Blenny peaks out from its barnacle hideout.

2014-08-27_7d_0186.JPG

Juvenile Mardi Gras Wrasse, an endemic species to the Gulf of Mexico.

2014-08-27_7d_0211.JPG

White-spotted Soapfish hovering within a darker recess of the rig.

2014-08-27_7d_0234.JPG

Grey Triggerfish looking for something to bite..

Please tell the 2nd student there are more red snapper on the rigs off Louisiana than Carter's got little pills......

Ha! I will convey the message but his research is funded by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as part of their artificial reef project benefit assessment. Basically, they want to know if spending millions on these sites is benefiting the snapper population and, subsequently, their piece of the snapper fishery pie.

These are great shots Seth! I especially like the ones for the nearshore reef since we don't ever have an opportunity to see those on this side of the state.

-Chris

Great shots seth, Did you get over to the Navy Barge at the SPI site or the Tug CoryAnn next to the rig? FYI, The rigs off mansfield were placed in the 90's the liberty ships were placed in the 70's Love the photos, If you get a chance send them to Senator Lucio's office in Brownsville he certainly would enjoy them. The impressive thing your photo's show is the wonderful habitat it has created which would not have exsisted without the Artificial Reef Program.

Thanks and that's good information about the rigs, I didn't realize they were a more recent addition. I have and, actually, just a week or so ago, dove the Navy Barge at the Port Isabel Playground. It's certainly a neat site which I unfortunately don't get to dive very often. Of course, being so close to shore, it is one of the poorer sites for good visibility.

Back
Top Bottom