Diving in Salalah, Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same question, any dive shop recommendations for Salalah? Thinking of taking a short holiday in Oman for good diving.

When I lived there back in 05-07 there were 2 shops. Extra Divers was at the Crowne Plaza and SubAqua was at the Hilton. Now I tbelieve there is another Extra Divers shop in Mirbat at a newer hotel they were buildin when I left. Mirbat is actually where most of the "Salalah" diving happens. Although around the Salalah Port there are a couple places you can go to dive that are interesting. If I were going back on a dive vacation I would look into the hotel and shop in Mirbat. All the dive sites are right there otherwise you spend about an hour driving from Salalah to get to the dive sites. Are you set on Salalah? Muscat has great diving and more to do in town. The Daymaniyat Islands are fantastic to dive, same with Fahal Island.

I'm not completely set on Salalah. I was looking to stay at the Hilton in Salalah for three nights. I like the idea of not needing to leave the property. I'm open to Muscat at well. I've previously visited, but have not dived there. First priority is to good diving. Really need to get outside the Gulf to do that. Would love to dive both the Gulf of Oman and Arabian Sea this year.

I have not dived around Salalah although I have visited the area a few times.

Avoid June to September for three reasons

1. The Khareef, very high waves as Oman receives "fall out" from the monsoon that hits India, diving will probably not be very good.

2. Lots of Kuwaitis, Saudis, Qataris go there on holiday during this period to experience rain and cooler weather, very busy period.

3. Hotel prices are higher during this time due to 2 above

I never stayed at the Hilton but went there just about every weekend to the night club to get drunk and waste money on crowns and beads for the Russian dancers ha ha. My company did however have villa's for us at the Crowne Plaza, which was pretty nice too. Salalah in general doesn't have a whole lot to do outside of the hotels there at night. Personally I would be interested in the hotel in Mirbat, which is right at the main area for the best diving. It seemed like a nice place and super convenient for diving. I dove there almost every weekend for 2 years. Also you need to remember that the monsoon season, "Khareef" affects the area during the summer months, which means no diving. The coast gets very rough and rainy and the dive shops usually shut down until about August/September.
Up in Muscat I always would stay at the Oman Dive Center. They have these really cool huts right on the beach and breakfast/dinner was included when I was there. I used them quite a few times and did my DM training there. The diving is slightly better with more chances to see sharks and stuff like that. There is also the Al Sawadi hotel just outside of Muscat. They have an onsite dive shop that goes out to the Daymaniyat islands I mentioned before. The diving there is great and would be worth a dedicated trip to do multiple dives at the islands. ODC will occasionally go out there but it's like a 2 hour boat ride from there.
If it were me, I would look at Muscat for the summer and hit up Salalah after November. The 2 places offer a totally different dive experience.

Totally agree with J Easy

I have not dived Muscat area and Damaniyats for a few years however I also second the Oman Dive Center. Al Suwadi hotel was getting a bit run down last time I was there, but obviously the best place to go to the Damaniyats from a UAE perspective as it is about an hour closer than Muscat from Dubai. Planning to go there myself over the summer.

The wreck south of Fahal island is really good as it sits upright, with lots of free swimming morays on the reef as you ascend.

Another option for Muscat is the Blue Marlin (IIRC) should the ODC be busy.

Theres always Subaqua.
We are in the hilton and the Crowne Plaza
season starts late september and ends mid may
diving is great

I know this thread is a bit old, but if are others are looking/researching, I dived in Sallalah 2012 when I lived in Oman. The only operator at the time was Extra Divers, who had a very new and well resourced dive centre in the grounds of the Marriott at Mirbat. It was a very nice break and the diving was reasonably good. All shore diving - some nice rocky outcrops and small reefs. Very unspoiled. I saw a lot of schooling fish if I remember. Worth a diversion if you are a die hard diver. As OP's mention, there is no diving during the Kareef over the summer months - sea is wild.

There was also talk of a (ex Red Sea) liveaboard starting up for the off shore islands/all Hallaniyat island, but I never heard any more. Shame - apparently it is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom