ZEN dome ports for nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not sure where to put this, but considering the camer ais an olympus E-PL5, I think this is the right location.
So, I am wondering about ZEN domes for nauticam housing. I know that nauticam has dome ports perfectly suited for their housings, but they use acrylic domes I believe. ZEN seems to be using glass ports, which to me seems a lot more scratch resistant.
As such I was considering using a ZEN port for a nauticam NA-EPL5 housing, using a panasonic 7-14mm lens.

I like the idea of large dome ports, especially when they have a universal (nauticam) interface in case I upgrade my camera and housing to, say, a DSLR kit.
Of course, I don't know if this is even feasible, hence I ask the question...

Any thoughts/comments?

I use a Nauticam housing for my Canon 7D. I used to use the Nauticam acrylic 6 inch dome port for my fisheye lens, and I recently switched to the Zen 100 mm port. It's great, no scratches yet, and MUCH easier to pack. Only drawback is that it's not as good for over/under shots, but hey, that's what photoshop is for... :)

Zen Underwater makes a 170mm optical glass port for the Nautical Mini housings like the NA-EPL5 housing. I use this optical glass port with the Nauricam 20mm port extension when using the Panasonic 7-14 zoom. You can see some images and a short description below and a full review in UWPMAG.com due out around 1 July.

Phil Rudin

I saw the thread below, looks interesting. I understand over/under shots require big glass domes. Nauticam, but also Zen, is rather wooly on compatibility of their accessories. I know Zen makes big domes, but no indication where they fit to...

image.jpg

The ZEN 170mm port works well for over/under and I agree that a larger port would work even better. If you want ZEN Offers a port mount for the Subal type III line of ports. I use this adapter on my NA-EM5 housing with the ZEN Subal type III 100mm port and my 8mm fisheye lens. It could also be used with the larger type III ports like the 200 and 230mm ZEN or Subal ports.

The attached image was taken with the Olympus 12mm, EM5, Nauticam housing and the ZEN 170mm dome port.

Phil Rudin

so, you are saying, a ZEN 230mm dome port, with a Subal III port mount will fit on a nauticam NA-EPL5 housing?
It raises the question, with the adapters/mounts/etc available on the market today, would it actually be possible to mount a 10" dome onto the NA-EPL5 for the 7-14 panny?

In thory if the Subal 10 inch dome is made in a type III mount it should fit the port adapter. I think this is overkill and that you would see little difference v. The 200mm port but it should work.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but what are the advantages of glass over acrylic dome ports?

Thanks,
Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom