February Manatee/Rainbow/Troy Springs Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhayes75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to dive Manatee/Rainbow/Troy Springs February 21-28 ish. I will be looking for someone to buddy up with and guide me on my first freshwater spring dive. My wife and kids will snorkel Rainbow Springs while I dive ( as long as I don't let them see the Gator sign). I have contacted Birds Underwater to inquire about a boat for Rainbow Springs. Any comments on these sites (Do's and Dont's) would also be appreciated. My second goal on this trip is to rid my wife of her fear of water. It would be great to have a built in dive buddy.

Speaking from experience, the built-in dive buddy is a great idea. Saves a lot of headaches trying to find a buddy when you travel, too! That aside, I was at Manatee Springs a couple of weeks ago and I would call it a pretty good first spring dive. I've been wanting to dive Troy, but recently, it has been closed because of poor water conditions, a.k.a. backwash from the Suwannee River. Troy supposedly has a 70' bottom which is great for a spring. Both springs are state parks, so you will definitely need a buddy.

I'm always up for another dive. Give me a shout if you decide to do either spring.

Ken

Wish I could make it, if you visit Troy, see if you can swim up the spring run, there's an old civil war era wreck at the mouth. Its just ribs, but still kinda cool.

I've been wanting to hit Manatee for awhile, but not in the cards for February.

Just did Troy this past weekend. It was pretty neat and unique to all the other springs I've been to. First off, use your snorkel to swim out the run. There's very few spots that are deeper than 3 or 4 feet... most of it you can stand up in... ok, most of it I can stand up in. On the way out to the wreck, there looks to be a ledge you can swim under/through, but I didn't do that. From the looks of the banks, the water level was much lower than it has been in the past. Talking to one of the park rangers, the current level was pretty deep. She said something about during the summer you have to "crawl on your belly" to get to the wreck. Perhaps I'll come back to see what she's talking about.

The ribs and a few other pieces of the wreck are still there. Personally, I found it more impressive in person than any pictures I've seen of it. Other than turtles, there wasn't much to talk about. But there were plenty of turtles and from what we saw, there are going to be a whole lot more turtles real soon.

So the hole is mostly straight down... three sides are sheer drops and the fourth is a steep slope. Even though it was overcast, there was plenty of light, but the bottom looked eerie as we swam over it before descending. Once near the bottom... 65' or so, the side opposite of the slope has some cavern-like areas... not too big, but definitely an overhead environment. We hit 71' as our max depth.

The bottom has a few vents here and there, none of them very strong. There are also logs and branches throughout the springs and run. A word of caution though, if you even think about silting up the place, you will. There isn't much silt at the bottom, but you could easily go zero-vis getting there if you're not careful. Every rock, log and crevasse is covered in silt; and around the spring it's quite thick... out in the run it's thinner and dissipates quickly. Just be careful.

We arrived at the park around 10:30 and were the only ones there... but that soon changed. Before we left, I counted about 11 divers and one bubble watcher. Seems to be a pretty popular place. I'm looking forward to diving it again.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom