Third Annual Snorkel w/ the Manatees, Feb., 7th, 2009 followed by an M&G Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Third Annual Snorkel w/ the Manatees, Feb., 7th, 2009 with Birds Underwater. Manatee Tours Florida Manatee Swims Swimming With Manatee Florida

Must arrive at Birds by 6:15. We leave early as it offers the best chance of viewing with the least amount of other people. :)

Cost is $33 pp. Please call Bird's to book your spot a.s.a.p and please let them know you are with :sblogo: Once you have done that, please post here so that I can add you to the list here.

Feel free to peruse Bird's website to learn a lil more about their operation. They are going to have donuts, coffee, and hot chocolate for us on the boat :coffee:

A couple of things to note, that rightfully so, Birds is very strict on: As divers, you are directly entering the manatee's habitat. With that in mind, know that if you lack self discipline or patience, this may not be the trip for you. Molesting or chasing the animals will not be tolerated in the slightest and you will be asked to leave the water immediately. A patient, responsible, person is going to calmly float/snorkel on the surface and wait for the manatee to initiate contact.

By following these simple steps you can minimize your impact:

Use snorkel gear when diving with manatees.
The sound of bubbles from SCUBA gear can frighten the manatees.
Manatees are wild animals and should not be fed.
Close exposure to or dependence on humans can be harmful to them.
While swimming or diving, do not approach or chase a manatee. Give a manatee its "personal space".
A cow and her calf belong together. Please do not separate them -- actually, please do not separate or single out any individual manatee from a herd.
Never poke, prod or stab a manatee with your hands, feet or any object.
Take only as many pictures as the manatees will pose for. Never try to force a manatee into an extended photo session.

Now with the rules out of the way, let me just say this can be one heck of an experience. :) Something not soon forgotten that is for sure. :no: The beauty of the river and these special animals make for a memorable day.

So if you are interested, make a post and let's get this thing underway. :yeahbaby:

One more fun detail; there is going to be an after the day's events party/M&G :bounce2: Note, you do NOT have to attend the dive to go to the party and as always all are welcome. :bananalama: Party details are as follows:

Address 82 Bay Woods Dr
Safety Harbor 34695
# 727 7914645 (David & Colleen)

Party; Sat., Feb. 7th, 3pm 'til the last person leaves

I have calculated that the Manatee snorkel party will arrive at about 3pm, at this time there will be snacks/drinks with the main courses at 5pm.

There will be facilities for anyone wishing to shower/clean up after the snorkel trip, the pool heated (85) will also be open and a fire in the hearth.

If anyone has DVD of a dive trip please bring them.

If anyone would like to be added to the party please let me know, likewise if I have someone down that is not attending the party please let me know.

Directions:

Coming south on McMullen Booth turn left on state Rd/580 then turn right on 590/ Phillippe Park way.

Then it is a right turn on Bishop Creek Dr, Bay Woods sub division (Do not turn into Bay woods II sub division the road before Bay Woods)
Follow Bishop Creek Dr and make the first right that comes and that is Bay Woods Dr.
We are at the end of the Cul-De sac on the right (watch out for the trees in the middle of the Rd) See map one.

Going North on McMullen Booth Turn right on Enterprise and go to the end, turn left on Phillippe Parkway.

Take the first left on Fairview St, drive to the top of the hill and turn right on to Bishop Creek Dr, then the first left on to Bay Woods Dr. See map 2.

Looking forward to seeing you all

Manatee Trip Attendees:
MissD
Bob
divedivedivecfl, Laurin, and Chris
Colleen, cdiver2, travelnsj
BruceTrinity & missus
rvagrad77 & missus
IDive

Party Attendees
MissD
Bob
divedivedivecfl/Scott, Laurin, and Chris
Colleen, cdiver2, travelnsj
rvagrad77 & missus
IDive
Salmonboy & Robin
Carrimak/Carolyn & Mark
msscuba/Rachel
DeepStops/Brian
Netmage/Tim
ScubaKen1970
Donny/III & ScubaAnn
Down4Fun/Kim
ScubaCrab/Doug and Melissa
Jridg - Jim

Last edited:
Third Annual Snorkel w/ the Manatees, Feb., 7th, 2009 with Birds Underwater. Manatee Tours Florida Manatee Swims Swimming With Manatee Florida

Must arrive at Birds by 6:15. We leave early as it offers the best chance of viewing with the least amount of other people.

Cost is $33 pp. As soon as we hit 15 people (hopefully w/i a couple of weeks) I will need half of the cost per person up front so that I can pay Bird's and be sure our spot is reserved. Note it is Bird's that asks for half up front not I. That said, I will not book or hold you a spot, unless I receive your money (via paypal or mail - pp is preferred). DeepStops/Brian spearheaded this last year, paid for two ahead of time and was stuck with those people not re-paying him when they were no-shows :sad:

Feel free to peruse Bird's website to learn a lil more about their operation. They are going to have donuts, coffee, and hot chocolate for us on the boat :)

Please do not post if you are a maybe. If you are in on the trip, please be certain when you post.

As divers, you are directly entering the manatee's habitat. With that in mind, know that if you lack self discipline or patience, this may not be the trip for you. Molesting or chasing the animals will not be tolerated in the slightest and you will be asked to leave the water immediately. A patient, responsible, person is going to calmly float/snorkel on the surface and wait for the manatee to initiate contact.

By following these simple steps you can minimize your impact:

Use snorkel gear when diving with manatees.
The sound of bubbles from SCUBA gear can frighten the manatees.
Manatees are wild animals and should not be fed.
Close exposure to or dependence on humans can be harmful to them.
While swimming or diving, do not approach or chase a manatee. Give a manatee its "personal space".
A cow and her calf belong together. Please do not separate them -- actually, please do not separate or single out any individual manatee from a herd.
Never poke, prod or stab a manatee with your hands, feet or any object.
Take only as many pictures as the manatees will pose for. Never try to force a manatee into an extended photo session.

All of the above out of the way, and sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, let me just say this can be one heck of an experience. Something not soon forgotten that is for sure. The beauty of the river and these special animals makes for a memorable day.

So if you are interested, make a post and let's get this thing underway. :yeahbaby:

One more fun detail; there is going to be an after the day's event's gathering :bounce2: PM me for details if you are keen on getting in on that :bananalama:

**This event will soon be moving to Trips&Marketplace, so keep an eye our for it there.

About what kind of water temperature is the norm?

A couple shots I have taken. This guy was actually molesting me :shocked2::D

IMG_47.JPG

IMG_54.JPG

P1010007_1.JPG

The water temp is 72. If you decide not to dive but just be on the boat, you will need warm clothes.
A manatee trip is always a great trip, something you don't want to miss out on!

Put me in for 2 Miss D. I'm going to drag the Mrs. out for this one. I will get with you in a little bit to get the paypal thing set up.

Put me in for 2 Miss D. I'm going to drag the Mrs. out for this one. I will get with you in a little bit to get the paypal thing set up.

:yelclap: Just a thought but you could put it in her stocking for Christmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom