Philippines Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brassair

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a diving trip to the Philippines for February this year. Any useful info would be more than welcome:
-Best dive sites
-Places to stay
-Practical tips
-Dive centres/resorts

Thanks in advance

I organised a trip for ten people back in May2008 to the Philippines.
We went to:
Atlantis Dive Resort
Sabang Bay
Puerto Galera
Mindoro Island

I would really recommend the them.

I wrote a trip report for our club website which can be viewed if you want to at www.subcdivers.co.uk

I have also dove at Puerto Galera, and the diving is good and close to Manila. There is a boat/bus combo that will get you there in about 4-5 hours. I dove with a smaller outfit and it was about $30/dive, basic room for about 15-25/night. I was able to wing it upon arrival. There is enough diving there to keep you satisfied for a week or so, and you can go check out some of the other beaches on the island, hit up the bars, etc.

Palawin island is where the best wrecks are at, and there are thresher sharks and good diving closer to Cebu city, but I have been to neither. Check out the Phillipines forum for more info

I've responded to similar questions before about diving in the Philippines and I've generally given the same reply. I did a quick copy-and-paste from a previous thread and here is my humble recommendation...

I never hesitate suggesting Puerto Galera as a dive destination. The only exceptions would be if you are looking specifically for extensive wreck or cave/cavern diving. Also, although not impossible, large critters like whale sharks, mantas, dolphins, etc do not make regular appearances often enough to really promote PG as the place to dive to see these animals.

PG does have a great diversity of dive sites for beginner and advanced divers in both recreational and technical diving. Another great thing about PG is that the divesites are generally all very close to the beach. You can spend your surface interval lounging around a pool, having a leisurely lunch, or taking a short cat-nap. PG, specifically Sabang Beach, also offers plenty to do if you want to take a day off from diving, and has a great nightlife that thumps well into the wee hours of the morning.

Dive ops in PG range from very small informal (but very personal) shops run more like hobbies than businesses to the full-on all-inclusive dive resorts that cater to large groups. Some shops have been operating there for years (even decades) while others have popped up much more recently. I'm sure you are aware of the pros and cons of each type of operation so it really comes down to what appeals to you and your group.

It's hard to recommend one place over another. For me, the individual staff members currently working at a specific shop can really make the difference between a positive and negative experience. The transient nature of the place means that your favourite DM or instructor may have moved from one shop to another, and the dynamics of what was your favourite operation may have completely changed.

I've only dived out of a couple of operations in PG. However, if you have an idea of what kind of shop appeals to you, I can suggest a few places about which I've heard people speak highly.

I don't work for the Puerto Galera Tourist Bureau... these are just my suggestions.

Happy Diving!

I grew up in Manila. And took the SDI Open Water and Deep Water in Pandan Island, Mindoro.
I recommend it over Puerto Galera.

It's very much secluded and undisturbed. Whereas PG is VERY COMMERCIALIZED. Boo!
When you chose to stay in Pandan Island, they conduct a tour to the Apo Reef.
I dove there as my final test for Deep Water diver.
It's the "Great Barrier Reef" of the Philippines.

If you go to Cebu, go to Malapascua Island and inquire about Thresher shark diving.
Personally I haven't tried it (I wasn't certified yet when I went there). But I'm going to try it when I come home for a visit in 2011.

Tubbataha Reef in the southern Philippines offers some of the best diveing only done by liveaboard.

PG has some nice diving at good prices but can be a bit busy, check out Asia Divers there.

Cebu has some very nice reefs and from there you can take a basic but comfortable liveaboard to places like APO Reef.

There is some very nice wreck diving in places like Coron Bay and Subic bay the later easy to reach from Manila.

The S/Y Syren is a new Liveaboard going around different destinations and is a first class boat and operation, check it out.:wink:

Tubbataha Reef liveaboard can only be done by schedule and reserving slots.
Usually slots fill up one year before the actual trip -- I registered for the 2010 trip a year ago but am in the waiting list already.
Goes to show how much people want to go on that trip. I'll try to register for the 2011, hopefully I'll be able to get in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom