Storing lobsters in your refrigerator...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was never aware of this but someone mentioned throwing a lobster away because it died in the refrigerator. I typically catch mine one day and cook them the next and almost always they are dead. There is a theory that bacteria spreads if they die in the refrigerator but that theory puzzles me. I have always cooked mine on the next day and practically all the time they are dead but taste delicious...needless to add I never got sick.

Some comments I read suggest to freeze them (I suppose tail only) if you do not intend to cook them while alive...

Any input on what is the best way to preserve lobster after you catch them.

You can prolly freeze the whole lobster. Ill let some one else with more experience chime in on this.

If they are still alive, why not keep them alive in a pot of water? Seems to work for a whole pile of restaurants around here.

If they are still alive, why not keep them alive in a pot of water? Seems to work for a whole pile of restaurants around here.

Always have frozen live lobsters in my freezer, been doing it for many, many years. I steam them instead of boiling.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 12:21 AM ----------

I was never aware of this but someone mentioned throwing a lobster away because it died in the refrigerator. I typically catch mine one day and cook them the next and almost always they are dead. There is a theory that bacteria spreads if they die in the refrigerator but that theory puzzles me. I have always cooked mine on the next day and practically all the time they are dead but taste delicious...needless to add I never got sick.

Some comments I read suggest to freeze them (I suppose tail only) if you do not intend to cook them while alive...

Any input on what is the best way to preserve lobster after you catch them.

Are you sure they are dead? Usually rock lobsters (w/ claws) will live overnight in a fridge. They may look dead, limp and unmoving but are probably still alive. My favorite lobster site is right near the docks where the lobsters boats dock. I regularly find banded lobsters living in the breakwater. The lobster men throw them over the side thinking they’re dead but in fact they are alive and come back after being thrown overboard. I’ve caught bugs with bands on both claws overgrown by the shell by ½” sometimes.
I find them sitting on top of pieces of fish eating. The lobster men also throw their excess bait overboard actually helping to feed the banded bugs they throw overboard too! I rescue them, give them a hot bath and have them over for dinner! :)

I always cook mine the night I catch them. If I'm not going to eat them right away, I'll flash boil them for around 8 mins and then tail them. Wrap them in freezer bags and throw in the freezer. I like to BBQ, so when we eat them I usually thaw them in the fridge, butterfly the tail when thawed, remove the poop shoot and throw them on the grill with cilantro butter or something like that. I hope to do this process this weekend since I got skunked last weekend at Santa Cruz Island.

w

This is true with crab so i would think it is the same for Lobster. You can't sell dead crab because of that, you can freeze them and that is fine but in the refrigerator and room temp is a no.

I wouldn't eat lobster or crab that died before I cooked it. Bacteria starts to build up quickly. If you need to store longer than 48 hours, cook and freeze.. However, they are often lethargic from being in the fridge. They should last on damp newspaper inside a paper bag in the fridge for up to 48 hours. I've bought them from the Asian store aquarium, stored them in the fridge and cooked them the next day. They've looked pretty lively after they warm up.

Back in the days when I used to hunt bugs, I would usually tail them and freeze them. Just remember that your possession limit includes the ones in your freezer.

You maybe right about being lethargic but one would guess that they will move when I go through the pleasantries of cleaning their poop channel... That is what puzzled me. But I have been constantly doing this and then read about techniques in keeping them alive to avoid bacteria build up. That is when I got concerned and felt I shall ask the experts. I have only being hunting lobsters for the last 3 years without an incident.

I like to cook them whole so tailing them and freezing them is something I prefer not to do. My buddies know how to remove every little piece of lobster meat from the carcass and I appreciate that.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 08:52 AM ----------

That would mean sea water and I heard that this does not work if it is not filtered. The tips include keeping inside kelp or anything that will preserve some moisture so they last the extra day.

I'd like to think an overnight stay in my fridge would not cause much bacterial build-up... my housemate has had an open pizza in there for a week (yeck)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom