First Kills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Went spearfishing today for the first time. Took a shot at an Almaco Jack, but missed just above his head. Second dive I decided to go for the sure thing and shot a couple of lionfish. They were good. I found it really difficult to ID fish underwater. I suppose this just gets better with time/practice.

First Lionfish.jpg

What did you find difficult? Was it a water clarity issue or difficulty distinguishing shapes and patterns?

Mainly I just don't know what the different kinds of fish look like because I'm totally new at it. So, differentiating between the kinds of snapper when some are in season and some aren't. Same with grouper, knowing which are which type. And trying to differentiate between greater, lesser, and almaco jacks was challenging too.

I f you have a camera you can take pics of all of them to research later. Just make sure you know what you are shooting at before you pull the trigger. Out of season fish and protected species are bad news to spear.

.... I found it really difficult to ID fish underwater.

1st off CONGRATS on being a new SPEARO and getting your fish !!

You also are correct that it just takes time to ID fish. I suggest you just learn 5 fish and learn them very well from the shape and then to the movements and markings. Remember that most spearos hunt by shape and movement, not by color etc. You'll see a fish 40 feet away and know by it's shape and movement what it is and then how to stalk it.

Just learn 5 fish,,,,,,the others will come as you hunt more.

So my plan at this point is:

- Lionfish (unregulated, good eating)
- Barracuda (mostly unregulated, good eating)
- Almaco Jacks (unregulated, good eating)
- Any kind of snapper with stripes or black spot (around 12", looks like a saggy football)
- Any kind of grouper without stripes (mostly min 22", looks like a football)
- Any Cobia swimming w/ sharks (36")

That should keep me roughly in the good graces of the law and supply enough targets to bring fish home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom