Camera Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
$10 at home depot for everything.

Camera Mount 2.jpgCamera Mount.jpg

I got that graceful bend by hammering the $#!t out of it :).

Last edited:
Give it a try and see if you like it. I considered this too, but opted for a GoPro mask. Here are my thoughts and maybe something you should consider. A) You can be easily distracted by trying to get a good shot rather than getting a "good shot" and it's a visual obstruction that may allow a fish enough time to get away. B) Much of the footage is going to be useless. C) It's going to get beat to hell. D) It's not going to fit in a gun rack on a boat. E) It's another point of entanglement for your line and stringer, assuming you're line shafting and carrying a stringer.

I used the GoPro mask and it was literally set it and forget it. Good horizontal trim keeps bubbles out of the field of view and it's truly a POV video that eliminates the potential of becoming another task during an already task heavy activity.

I like the creativity.
If you find that it obstructs your view you may want to switch to a Mask Mount. Assuming you remember to turn it on, or the batteries don't run out, you always get a good view on the mask.

I've thought about a mask mount before but I'm super cheap and am trying to avoid spending money on a new, overpriced mask. The ones I wear are only $20 at PiranhaDiveMfg. Anyone know of a way to add a mount to an existing mask?

I'm hopefully heading to Pensacola Friday for some fishing so I'll post if it's an obstruction. Mainly I just want to be able to show my wife how I get her fish since she doesn't dive. Not really planning on using it for improving technique or anything.

I hear you. I tried to go cheap on the mask. You can find them as cheap as $20 on eBay. The risk is will it fit? The $20 GoPro mask is the exact mask mold my wife has for her regular mask. While it did fit and did not leak on me, for some reason it put pressure on my brow. So the wife gets that one and I bought the XS-Foto Panoramic Mask. That mask fit me perfect, really expands your field of view and there's no nut as they tapped the stainless steel mount for the GoPro bolt. However, it was $80. Atleast for me the $20 mask didn't go to waste or at a minimum require me to resell it.

When I got my GoPro, I thought about different mounts for a bit. In the end, I decided to go with the GoPro mask mount over a gun mount for several reasons.

1. It can always be with me. Even if I don't bring the gun on a dive, or just wanted to jump in to film a sea turtle or something, it would be ready.
2. It records where I look. There are times when I'll want to get some video of a buddy stalking and taking aim on a fish. I'd rather not do that with the gun pointed at my buddy.
3. The shot is usually disrupted by the recoil of the gun when it is fired. You could have the shot lined up perfectly, but as soon as you pull the trigger, the gun shakes, so the video of the moment of impact is not viewable.
4. Better maneuverability. There are places that you may want to video where your gun can't quite get the right angle.

I ended up going with the XS Scuba GoMask. I liked it better than the Octomask, and has a stronger mounting bracket (metal vs. plastic).

Back
Top Bottom