sea and sea 8000G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beast11

Reaction score
This camera is capable of taking some pretty good pictures and has some very good features such as manual white balance. The controls are easy to use and the housing fits the camera very well making for a small package. The optional wide angle lens can be put on under water. The camera cannot shoot in the raw format and the TIFF format cannot be loaded into photoshop as the company was too cheap to pay for a standard TIFF format. When the optical zoom is used on the camera the F stop increases as the camera zooms. This is an interesting feature but the screen darkens as the F stop increases and the subject becomes difficult or impossible to see. A spotting light will help but a better design where the screen does not darken in the flash mode would be better. The internal flash must fire for the external flash to fire. Because of this there are two flashes firing which makes adjustments of the main flash more difficult. Also the internal flash uses up batteries rapidly. The macro feature is a big plus as it is easy to use and can focus to 1cm. Overall a small camera capable of some good photos but with some major design flaws.

You may want to post your question to the Underwater Photography forum instead of here in the Intros and Greets. You will probably get a better response.

Welcome to the board!
Interesting information about that camera. And an interesting first post.

Joe

I've been considering the DX8000 also, but was a bit put off by Doc Harry's post. Kim was kind enought to reply with this suggestion:

Originally Posted by Sea&Sea reply
Thank you for your inquiry.

As you know, jpg format is compressed data and is used for most software.
.tiff format is uncompressed data, so it needs more memories and takes more
time to proceed. However, this tiff format is little different from ordinal
.tiff format. In order to look at tiff formatted pictures, you need to
install software (DU10X) which is in CD ROM that comes with the camera.
Please install the software on your PC, open the pictures from memory card,
and save the pictures in your PC. It is still .tiff formatted data and you
can use Adobe or Photoshop.

You need to open the picture with the software and save it again to a new file. According to Sea&Sea it's the new file that will be readable - not the original downloaded one.

I've been referencing DX8000G posts and found the above. Hope it helps. Hmmmm....S70 you say....

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:bandit_2: don

smiley-linie-004.gif

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

I have the DX5000G, vertually the same camera other than the Megapixel difference.

The TIFF file situation is a little frustrating, you can open them in the software that comes with the camera, save it, then it will open up in Photoshop. The main problem is if you have an older computer the 14+Meg files may be hard to handle. I've been shooting in the next resolution down, (F2592), and sence I'm still really a novice with Photoshop, this has been working just fine for me so far.

2 solutions for the "double flash" problem, Holly at Island Photo in Cozumel, who I bought hte camera from, did a little sugery to my housing and put duct tape over the slider that moves back and forth over the flash hole to deflect the internal flash to the strobe cord, this works pretty good.

the second solution is when I received my spare sync cord, it came with a velcro cover that you attach to the housing to cover the internal flash screen. sort of hard to discribe it, but that's the jest of if. I haven't tried using it yet, or talked to anyone that has, but the theory seems to work.

All in all I think these cameras are very good starter cameras for the diver that wants to do point-n-shoot photography and have some manual options.

Back
Top Bottom