So Much for DEPP Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I have been around and around with DEPP with my claim. I say claim. I reported by loss the first part of October when I returned from Cozumel. The loss occurred on my second day of diving on a 10 day trip. After 62 emails between myself (Not counting all the emails and phone calls to Olympus), Sandy Hall, Dixie Lehrmitt and the President himself, Deane Lehrmitt, I still have no Claim number, no idea when I will receive a check or when the check will be cut. I received an email from Deane on Dec. 15th that he had personally reviewed my claim and had approved it to be processed. Now 75 days later I have received no further communication to my 6 additional emails to the people noted above requesting information and continue to be ignored. Now, being an Insurance Professional myself for almost 25 years I have been more than patient.

There is far more to this story that I have written here and if I dont get this settled in the next 5 business days not only will I get the KY Department of Insurance involved I will post portions of the emails that border calling me a liar as respects proving my loss b/c they could not get the information they wanted from Olympus. The same information I wanted and could not obtain myself. Im not going to go into that now but I will should this rediculous claims handling process go on further. How you can so obviously ignore your customer during a claims handling process and expect to retain customers is beyond me. The way this has been handled there is no way in H@ll I could suggest anyone insure their gear with this product when I have had such a difficult time in obtaining even a response to a communication. Let alone a claim # or a check.

Sorry to hear that. They processed a claim I had fairly quickly, but that was about two years ago.

There is a diver over on Scubatoys forum with a very similar complaint about DEPP he was diving in Bonaire.

Do not use DEPP to insure your gear

An E-Mail I just sent to DEPP:

There is a discussion about your inability to process a claim on the World's Largest Website for scuba diving; ScubaBoard.com. While it's not the first time you have been discussed, it sure seems that you have had a lot of negative publicity on not only ours, but other forums as well. I invite you to respond to them in the forum and offer your side or even better, a resolution for this issue. You can find the thread here: So Much for DEPP Insurance Let's face, we sell advertisement for businesses just like you. However, at this point, I don't think that would help your reputation. It would be better to participate first and take time to be seen as a responsive agency. Please let me know if I can assist you in doing this.

--
Pete "NetDoc" Murray
Chairman of the ScubaBoard
99314 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo Fl, 33037
(407) 509-0947

Because of the negative publicity about DEPP, I have recently obtained insurance through State Farm for some of my newer dive equipment. I will not be renewing my DEPP policy when it expires. I will be moving the equipment covered on the DEPP policy to my State Farm policy, which is actually cheaper.

Because of the negative publicity about DEPP, I have recently obtained insurance through State Farm for some of my newer dive equipment. I will not be renewing my DEPP policy when it expires. I will be moving the equipment covered on the DEPP policy to my State Farm policy, which is actually cheaper.

Have you compared possible coverage differences? I would be especially careful of losses stemming from flooded cameras.

Have you compared possible coverage differences? I would be especially careful of losses stemming from flooded cameras.

Yes. I got quotes from the other insurers and State Farm was cheapest by far. State Farm also had the broadest coverage terms. I was very careful to make sure flooding is covered as I am insuring two Dive-X scooters with a replacement cost of $4000/scooter. The policy covers flood, accidental loss, theft, etc. Basically, it covers everything except intentional loss.

Yes. I got quotes from the other insurers and State Farm was cheapest by far. State Farm also had the broadest coverage terms. I was very careful to make sure flooding is covered as I am insuring two Dive-X scooters with a replacement cost of $4000/scooter. The policy covers flood, accidental loss, theft, etc. Basically, it covers everything except intentional loss.

I would delve further into their definition of flood. I have my suspicions that sporting goods equipment taken under water is truly covered. I could be wrong. I am in the insurance business as well.

I would delve further into their definition of flood. I have my suspicions that sporting goods equipment taken under water is truly covered. I could be wrong. I am in the insurance business as well.

I did. They issued me a separate policy for these items. As a litigation lawyer, I am satisfied with the documentation provided to me and representations made to me regarding their terms of coverage. However, like all insurance, you never will really know how good the insurance company is until you make a claim. Based on the negative reports regarding DEPP claims, I have little to no faith that they would pay a $4000 scooter claim if something were to happen to my scooter during a dive. Therefore, I had no desire to add these items to my DEPP policy and sought out different coverage.

Scott,

I am also in the Insurance industry.

State Farm will cover all scuba gear including camera and scooters for all perils listed in the policy coverage including flooding. If you are not using your equipment as "professional" equipment, you can add it to your homeowners/renters policy as a rider or all risk floater. It's usually only covered for ACV. ACV or Actual Cash Value, is like your auto policy.The insurance company will only pay what the value of the equipment is worth at the time of loss.

Make absolutely certain you know what it will cost you to replace the equipment.. An rider/all risk floater generally covers the scheduled equipment against everything except specifically excluded perils stated in the policy (e.g., acts of war).

Back
Top Bottom