GoPro Hero2 and Eye of Mine Flat Lens Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down2bizDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My email to Eye of Mine (edited to shorten): I bought a GoPro case and Hero2 from you recently and have been diving with it the last 2 weeks. I started to notice a distortion in the center of my videos, an out of focus spot. I thought it was dirt or a drop of water on the inside but discovered the distortion comes from what appears as a black spot in the center of the flat lens. At around 55 feet the spot is so tiny it is almost invisible but down at 100+ feet it is clearly visible, about the size of a cross section of a big toothpick. When holding the case at an angle so that the surface of the flat lens reflects light (and looks like a silver mirror) I can see the dark spot clearly. There is no distortion above 50 feet. I've never had the case below 135 feet and expected long life because the first case I bought lasted about 300 dives before I lost it , and camera, to the ocean.

Response from Eye of Mine: It's a new issue that has come up and only with the Hero2 at 40+ feet. The housing is compressing and pushing on the camera lens at that depth. We have a very simple fix. By putting a 1/16" (1.6mm) thick rubber washer around the lens before putting into the housing, it puts the camera lens far enough way from the flat lens to avoid this center focus issue up to 200 feet. The lens hole is 3/4" (20mm).

Hero2.jpg

Thanks for posting that, I'm considering getting a Hero2 soon myself. I still haven't decided which flat lens/housing to get for it, but this is good to know in case I go the Eye of Mine route. Did they mention to you if they're going to start supplying that rubber washer with their housings? It would certainly make sense if they did.

Fascinating. I have the HD Hero and the EoM, and have ordered the Hero2. Do you know if EoM is supplying the washers to existing customers?

Will

The GoForFocus flat lens for Hero 2 also comes with similar rubber washer to prevent contact between the camera objective and the flat lens.

I just received mine. Taking it to the South Africa sardine run next week. I'll report back.

I have the Blurfix flat lens from Snake River Prototyping. It attaches externally to the housing so if there is a leak, it will not get into the housing and ruin the camera. It's easy to attach and comes with a clear, glass filter that screws on. A red filter can be purchased that also screws onto the flat lens port (although a little pricey). It's just another option to end the distortion and fuzzy images that come with the standard GoPro housing.

I have the gopro case and I like it. unfortunately I've only had to use it in 11ft of low vis water during a pier cleanup event. Weather has not been co-operating lately for any real diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom