Have Sony RX100 ready to pull the trigger on wet lenses ... but which ones!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I have Sony RX100 Cameras in Nauticam housings. We are ready to purchase Macro and Wide Angle lenses. After reading everything we can on lenses and talking to our local underwater camera shop, we are still not quite sure what to do. As the Nauticam housing is natively threaded 67mm, the obvious answer is to purchase threaded lenses (which is the route our dive photo store recommends). However, we recognize that changing these lenses underwater is more challenging than the bayonet mount. Which leaves us in our predicament. Using 67mm threaded lenses is straightforward and we know it will work, but AD mount lenses would be easier to change. Here are the 2 options we've narrowed it down to.

Option 1 – 67mm

• Camera 1 (Nauticam RX100)
    • Macro: Dyron +7 or Inon UCL-165M67
    • Wide Angle: BlueWater WA-110/Ikelite W-30 (110 degrees)
  • Camera 2 (Nauticam RX100)
Option 2 – AD Mount

Will the AD mount option even work? Or will it leave it with vignetting or other undesirable artifacts (i.e. out of focus)?

Our intent is to purchase 2 identical Macro lenses (+5 to +7) that we could stack if/when we wanted to shoot super-macro (Which eliminated the SubSea Macro lenses)

We're looking at one 100-110 degree WA lens (better for video) and one Fisheye Lens (for bigger and closer objects). It's just too hard to justify spending and extra $500-600 for the Inon Wide Angle plus dome over the Fisheye. However, if the Fisheye with the adapters won't give us good pictures, we may just go with the 67mm solution.

There is a huge price difference in adapters and lenses between the Inon AD mount and the Inon LD mount, so that's another large dollar amount to swallow to consider going to LD.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations/experiences. Ultimately, we probably won't know for sure exactly what works for us until we have all the gear underwater, and by then the money is already spent.

AD lenses will work but vignette until you step zoom to 35mm (that is not a problem)
If you want a fisheye you can connect the UFL165AD using the fix M67-ADF Pro plus a modification that I make to order
You can then use the UWL105AD for video that is what I used in all my clips checl on my youtube channel
This is the lenses test
Sony RX100 ? Tips for underwater video part 9 Wide Angle Shots and Lenses | Interceptor121 Underwater Video
Obviously the shops will advice you against the AD mount as there are no off the shelf adaptors however having tested my modification extensively I can tell you this is better than the various lenses with LD and 28AD mount and more practical than the M67

Is it just the standard AD lenses that will vignette or will the 28AD lenses vignette as well with the AD adapter?

Vignette is not a problem people get obsessed by it, what count is optical quality and the UFL165AD has excellent one.
The Inon UWL-100 28AD does not vignette, all diopter do and require anyway an adapter as the lens would crash into the port. http://www.inon.jp/products/lens/option.html#ad_mount_converter
But this lens at 28mm is less wide than the UWL105AD at 35mm and optically the quality is identical
Also if you shoot with steadyshot active the camera crops to 33mm and the UWL105AD does not vignette and gives you 105 degrees instead of the 96-7 of the UWL-100 28AD. This lens is the best for video
Diopters all vignette but it is not a problem either as you shoot at full zoom
The RX100 has a memory recall that can select the step zoom required so this is transparent to the user
If you want to be able to swap lenses and not spend a fortune AD mount is the way to go in fact I was swapping lens with my buddy and she has a Canon S95 with recsea housing and AD adapter. I would dive with the UWL105AD and one UCL165AD and she would use the UFL165AD one UCL165AD
When we get the pygmy seahorse situation one person takes both diopters and we make turns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom