Flooded housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I sent my housing in for service, mainly because the flash would not fire when commanded by the camera. So today, I get the diagnosis from the manufacturer. "Housing cracked at the footmounts, bulkhead and electronics flooded."
Now, I'm pretty good about maintenance, and I always do my predive check to see that my housing is watertight.
My real question is how many flooded housings are there where it goes unnoticed AND does not damage the camera? My camera never got wet, still works fine. I am curious if anyone else has ever heard of such a thing.

I had a persistent leak that I couldn't locate, where a few drops would appear in the corners of the housing but the camera never got wet to the point of damage. A few drops. It turned out to be an o-ring on a bent shaft where the housing had been dropped. I also had a major flood due to an improperly tightened bulkhead that destroyed my camera and all the electronics in the housing. A few drops of salt water will wipe out a pc board quite nicely.

Not to threadjack, but I have a related question:

I'm pretty good about maintenance, and I always do my predive check to see that my housing is watertight.

It seems like a flooded light canister is typically blamed on the diver (not closing it properly or not diligently maintaining the seals/o-rings). Are flooded camera housings generally regarded in the same way?

Not to threadjack, but I have a related question:

It seems like a flooded light canister is typically blamed on the diver (not closing it properly or not diligently maintaining the seals/o-rings). Are flooded camera housings generally regarded in the same way?

Yea, probably. Short of the crack causing an unnoticed leak, the odds are that I screwed up with the sync cord, allowing a capillary leak into the electronics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom