Music for the videos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stangd1909

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where can I get some good music for the dive videos that I am making? Post up any music you have Please!

Thanks

dude, its illegal to share music for free! Remember? :shakehead

I would suggest you get a membership with one of those download companies where you pay by the song. There is some music out there that is available for free with no copyright issues. Personally, I buy lots of CDs from Amazon after I listen to the samples and decide what I like. There are legal issues with using that music too but chances are that the artist won't sue you if you are just using the music for your own personal enjoyment. If you plan to package something and sell it you will need to get permission from the artist and possibly pay for use. It is a sticky issue all the way around. I am hoping to find a local artist/group that wants to let me use their music on my videos for free advertisement!!

robint

robint:
dude, its illegal to share music for free! Remember? :shakehead

:huh:

robint:
I would suggest you get a membership with one of those download companies where you pay by the song. There is some music out there that is available for free with no copyright issues. Personally, I buy lots of CDs from Amazon after I listen to the samples and decide what I like. There are legal issues with using that music too but chances are that the artist won't sue you if you are just using the music for your own personal enjoyment. If you plan to package something and sell it you will need to get permission from the artist and possibly pay for use. It is a sticky issue all the way around. I am hoping to find a local artist/group that wants to let me use their music on my videos for free advertisement!!

robint

I am just wanting to know the best place to get music...I am not a big "online" guy. I don't want to mass produce anything:confused: I just want something for my personal video on my computer. I watch alot of these videos and they have good music, I just want to know where they get it:14:

HiDefPics:
A decent source for production music you can use without fear of law suits is at www.uniquetracks.com

you pay a one time fee and you own a license to use the music however you like (for the most part)

thanks HiDefPics!
I like that website - some really nice music there although it looks like it is $39 per download with average of 7-10 songs on it. But the nice thing is that it solves the lawsuit issue. :D

robint:D

This is a subject that I have researched extensively. As some of you may know, my first couple of dive videos on Google Video had no music, there was just narration. The video you shoot is yours (unless you need a person or site release, but that's another topic), your spoken words are yours, but you have to use music that is yours. I have seen many many dive videos on YouTube and Google were it looks like neat footage, but someone is using someone elses music, rock music, oldies, soundtracks, techno, Pirates of the Caribbean, or whatever. You may get away with this, but I do read from time to time that someone goes after someone for this. Whether you want to take the chance or not is up to you.

You can use someone else's music in your video, but you must get their legal permission to do this. There are websites that tell you how to try this. I tried this once to use a Vangelis soundtrack song and contacted EMI Music Publishing about getting the rights to use it. They sent me a one word email, "No".

There are websites that have music that you can buy for a nominal fee, there are podcast music sites that all you need to do is give them the name credit.

For my last two videos, Joe's Tug, at

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6463960296284954241&hl=en

I used my son's MacBook Garage Band Program. It worked okay, but I am not a musician. I just looped the loops until I got the music and sound that I wanted.

For my father's Pearl Harbor Testimony video (non-dive related) here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1165196537345359734&q=Pearl+Harbor&hl=en

I got a friend from church, who is a musician, to do the music. The cost was, if I make any money, he gets 25%. Also, he gets the Music By credit at the end. We have made no money, though 30,000 people have watched the video in three months, but he is satisfied with the exposure.

Hope this helps.

All of the music I use for video's that are published on line or purchased comes from either
Shockwave-sound
or
Chris Worth Productions

any personal music is usually an acoustic slack key or new age world music.

I find the music of Makana or Kapono Beamer works really wel with dive videos. But ultimately it depends on how you edit and the mood you want with the finished product.

Hope that is helpful.
Mahalo,
ScubaDrew

Back
Top Bottom