Careful with compatibility of Light and Motion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ratfish

Registered
Reaction score
I Recently had a bit of an issue with Light and Motion and their claimed compatibility. I wanted to buy the Sony SR5 HDD camcorder and obtained all the info on the type/numbers of the camcorder. After looking at the site of Light and Motion I wanted to make sure that the camcorder was compatible with the Stingray HD housing, since the exact complete type camcorder did not show. After I sent the e-mail I received a speedy reply assuring me that the SR5 I mentioned was compatible. So I ordered the camera, the housing and since I ordered them at separate dealers I needed to wait to see the 2 together. After I read all the features and instructions on the housing and camera, I discovered a number of issues.

The acclaimed "ON/OFF power button" is in reality a "one time power ON". If you accidently hit it twice (the video screen at the back takes time to power up after the camera) you freeze all the controls. You must wait up to 5 minutes for the camera to go on autoshut off (provided you don't touch anyhting) before you can restart the system. Pretty bad if you just got that amazing shot and by the time you reboot the system the opportunity is gone.

Secondly the SR5 is NOT compatible in all features. Since the SR5 and some other models work with a hotshoe on top for additional mics, there is no plug to receive the aquatic microphone plug of the housing. When I called they told me that they did not have a product for this or inteded to solve this issue with a simple shoe connector which could receive the plug. ..... result... tough luck for me!

My take on this is that, if certain models of cameras do not allow you to use all the features of the camera housing it should be disclosed upfront and clearly!

After I had discussed this in a friendly but firm manner the phone got silent on the other side. When I said "hello" .. I was told that they "were letting me vent".
I guess that's their way of saying we have no counter argument or explanation. It was great to hear that they will try to solve my problem with "the full product support of L&M" but if the suggestions stop at ME having to see if I can upgrade to an SR7 or 8 and that they are not making a simple hotshoe connector for the UW mic. I fail to see what concretely this is more than pretty words. They were not prepared to financially meet me halfway for an camcorder upgrade just a credit coupon for future L&M product purchases. (Not likely to happen at this rate)
In fact they assured me that they would correct the marketing materials as well as the inappropriate instructions in the manuals, only for me to discover that there is still no disclosure of these issues in the new compatibillty list. Nice, since some of the newer Sony models still use the mic hotshoe so be very careful when you try to buy such a system.

What ticks me off is less the mistake / misinformation by L&M but their refusal / inability to offer a solution and the continued non-disclosure of limitations on the Stingray HD housing.
I general the housing is not bad just a little buoyant on the front so it is always wanting to point downward. I am stuck with my SR5 and so stuck with the housing. I am currently scowering for a cheap SR7 since I do not want to invest again in the full price of a new camcorder.

I Recently had a bit of an issue with Light and Motion and their claimed compatibility. I wanted to buy the Sony SR5 HDD camcorder and obtained all the info on the type/numbers of the camcorder. After looking at the site of Light and Motion I wanted to make sure that the camcorder was compatible with the Stingray HD housing, since the exact complete type camcorder did not show. After I sent the e-mail I received a speedy reply assuring me that the SR5 I mentioned was compatible. So I ordered the camera, the housing and since I ordered them at separate dealers I needed to wait to see the 2 together. After I read all the features and instructions on the housing and camera, I discovered a number of issues.

The acclaimed "ON/OFF power button" is in reality a "one time power ON". If you accidently hit it twice (the video screen at the back takes time to power up after the camera) you freeze all the controls. You must wait up to 5 minutes for the camera to go on autoshut off (provided you don't touch anyhting) before you can restart the system. Pretty bad if you just got that amazing shot and by the time you reboot the system the opportunity is gone.

Secondly the SR5 is NOT compatible in all features. Since the SR5 and some other models work with a hotshoe on top for additional mics, there is no plug to receive the aquatic microphone plug of the housing. When I called they told me that they did not have a product for this or inteded to solve this issue with a simple shoe connector which could receive the plug. ..... result... tough luck for me!

My take on this is that, if certain models of cameras do not allow you to use all the features of the camera housing it should be disclosed upfront and clearly!

After I had discussed this in a friendly but firm manner the phone got silent on the other side. When I said "hello" .. I was told that they "were letting me vent".
I guess that's their way of saying we have no counter argument or explanation. It was great to hear that they will try to solve my problem with "the full product support of L&M" but if the suggestions stop at ME having to see if I can upgrade to an SR7 or 8 and that they are not making a simple hotshoe connector for the UW mic. I fail to see what concretely this is more than pretty words. They were not prepared to financially meet me halfway for an camcorder upgrade just a credit coupon for future L&M product purchases. (Not likely to happen at this rate)
In fact they assured me that they would correct the marketing materials as well as the inappropriate instructions in the manuals, only for me to discover that there is still no disclosure of these issues in the new compatibillty list. Nice, since some of the newer Sony models still use the mic hotshoe so be very careful when you try to buy such a system.

What ticks me off is less the mistake / misinformation by L&M but their refusal / inability to offer a solution and the continued non-disclosure of limitations on the Stingray HD housing.
I general the housing is not bad just a little buoyant on the front so it is always wanting to point downward. I am stuck with my SR5 and so stuck with the housing. I am currently scowering for a cheap SR7 since I do not want to invest again in the full price of a new camcorder.

Sorry to hear that you have had this issue with L&M. I have had similar dealings before. Therefore I longer care to use, or do business with L&M. Everything was always on my dime, can't do it, good luck, or if we can't do it you can trade-up for a more expensive system. Even penny-ante stuff was an up-charge / gouge.

I do hope you are able to get a satisfactory resolution to your situation. Me, I have L&M products in the office gathering dust for well over four years.

X

Back
Top Bottom