Holes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UntamedSpirit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've seen a bunch of holes when diving off service club beach. I'm assuming they are man made. Do people just dig in random areas or is there some sort of "art" to finding a place to dig.

Thanks

Phil

I have seen the holes.
Mostly small 1'-2' dia maybe 1' deep, man made or fish, don't know.
I don't dig.
Seems like to much energy wasted to be lucky.

I have seen the damage that can be done by people using scooters.
Don't know if it's legal, but it shouldn't be.

Some divers use scooters to blow/dig holes looking for fossils.....Not a good idea.......Tears the bottom up, disturbs the ecology and rarely, if ever finds any thing.......

I haven't seen him in a looooong time but, when I first started diving Venice, there was a guy who was actually using a vacuum, pumping the bottom on board his boat and then sifting through the stuff. He was what I guess you'd call a "commercial toother".

Thanks for all the info. Hoping to get out in the boneyard this weekend with Aristakat :).

DKramer, Sounds like he was using a dredge like they use for gold prospecting.

Rays will also create holes. When they detect a sub surface meal they cover the area then start to flutter which excavates the target. I have never seen one go below maybe 6 to 8 inches but I can imagine it is possible. They are very efficient at it.

Matt

Rays will also create holes. When they detect a sub surface meal they cover the area then start to flutter which excavates the target. I have never seen one go below maybe 6 to 8 inches but I can imagine it is possible. They are very efficient at it.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

:hmmm: so I gotta figure out how the rays detect food...then modify that to detect teeth... I'm gonna find all the Megs :)

Jamie

I have heard that there is someone out there now doing just that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom