Vintage scubapro reg set and Sea-Vue SPG ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoeT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Don't know much about this, but came across it and couldn't pass it up (yes, I'm a sucker for scuba gear). Anyway, would appreciate some help identifying it. Based on my review of the scubapro museum, looks like it is '68 or '69 gear, but couldn't really find a perfect match. Let me know what you think. Not sure what I'm going to do with it (probably not dive it, though).
-JoeT

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

That is an early MK-2 (3? - early SP is not too good) with a 108 second stage. The Seavue gauge has an optional capillary tube depth gauge. The gauge and reg are easy to restore and will serve you well. Restore them and dive.

I think that's a MK3, the MK2 has a concave end on the 1st stage cap.
That's a 108 second stage.

Anyway, there's only two O-rings (small end .008 - Big end .019) and a teflon HP seat in the first stage. The only moving part is the spring and the piston. You can flip the little teflon seat over for a new surface. Don't pick it out, use a little compressed air or something thin enough to stick through the hole in the piston shaft to push it out.
The second stage only has a poppet that you can flip over which will give you a new surface that will seal against the little metal volcano orifice. The diaphram in the 2nd stage is silicone with that rubber cover over it. The rubber diaphram cover usually will be pretty hard and not too good but those can be found. I got lucky and my LDS had one and they sold it to me!...shocking :shocked2: about 12 bucks.
The silicone diaphram is probably fine. That one looks to be in about 20 times better shape than the one I got. I had it working and totally divable quick and easy for about 15 bucks.

They're not the greatest breathers but alright.

My vote is for a Mk II as seen here: .:: SDHR - Detendeurs de Collection Anciens ::.
Go to menu > USA > Scubapro > various models. The MkIII looks a little too rounded on the cap.

Someone here just restored one of theose Sea Vues I think. I'll try to find the thread. I bought one without the depth guage and after a little elbow grease use it all the time. If it works, it works.

Interesting exhaust... V on the 108, possibly non-orginal. It means that somewhere out there, there may be some that'll fit the 109, 109 & 156. Has anybody tried?

Can that yoke take 3000 psi or is limited to 2400?

Zung, I had (or maybe still have) a metal Dacor which I think has a similar exhaust tee. I will have to check.

That is an early Mk-2 and 109, from 1968 or earlier.

The exhaust “T” is original to the 108 during that time period.
I once had a Mk-2 from that time period and I have seen several.

The Mk-3 had a smaller piston head and that is why the piston cap was rounded. It didn’t need as much space for the piston head.

The yoke can handle 3000 psi, but it is not recommended. It can flex a bit more than the newer yokes and it can allow the O-ring to extrude at the higher pressure.

I like that SPG with the 3500 psi read-out. Most SPG of that era would only read to 3000 psi. You should not use a gauge to measure the maximum it shows on the dial.

Someone here just restored one of theose Sea Vues I think. I'll try to find the thread. I bought one without the depth guage and after a little elbow grease use it all the time. If it works, it works.

I wonder who that was? :D

Internally you'll find the second stage is a bit different than the later 108 second stage in that it has a non adjustable orifice, a virtually straight, comparatively short lever and a VERY small exhaust valve. They also came with a retention strap similar to what USD used at the time.

Cracking effort is a bit higher than on the later 108 and the exhaust effort is noticeably greater. I can post pictures of the internals later if you want

IIRC they were actually a Buechat design and Scubapro retained the general look of that second stage well into the 1980s when the switched to plastic second stage cases.

I agree it is a MK 2, as the early MK 3 had a cap that was much more rounded. It also is not the first stage that originally came with that particular second stage. The serial number V-926 indicates in was originally on a MK V first stage.

I have an identical second stage with the serial number III-647 that came on a MK III.

Back
Top Bottom