Dacor Dart DR2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently picked up a Dacor Dart DR2 off Craigslist in a lump buy of someone's inherited gear. I've read this isn't a great breather as it's an early single hose design so I probably won't end up using it anyway but it looks like it's missing the reserve lever from the bushing out to the actual lever. I've looked (but not asked) for anything that might work over on vintagedoublehose.com but no luck. Anyone know of good options to find this? Is it worth bothering with it?

Attachments

• dacordart.jpg
    dacordart.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 111
  • dacordart2.jpg
    dacordart2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 82
  • dacordart3.jpg
    dacordart3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 91
  • dacordart4.jpg
    dacordart4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 85
  • dacordart5.jpg
    dacordart5.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 96
Looking at the parts list, you are missing a spring washer, the lever and the screw. The only way you are going to get those parts is to either find another one and scrounge the parts or find someone who has one. I have a couple off of old Voits levers but I doubt they will fit..and I don't have a DR-2 to test with. There are 2 other options, just use it without one or plug the hole. As long as you don't intend to use the J valve you really don't have to have the lever, just set it to reserve and go. The other possible option, and I would have to see it to determine if it would work, is to just plug the port. All of the old Voits and the Dacor 400/800s came in 2 models one with a J valve and the other without, the only difference was a plug was placed in the port instead of the valve assembly. Also, those regs had an optional plug that could be installed in the J valve hole that was tapped for a SPG, that is another option if a plug will work. I have made a bunch of those for the Voits, don't see any reason I could not make one for the Dacor.
My first shot at getting the parts would be to ask on VDH, I know at least one of the guys there was a Dacor dealer in the past and has some old parts or one of them may well have an old DR-2 for a good price. If all else fails, shoot me a PM and we can discuss making a plug.

One other possibility is to get a 1/2 inch Dacor J-valve, and there is a good possibility that the "J" valve portion would be compatible with your Dart II. There is a Dacor double tank J-Valve on E-Bay right now, but it may be more expensive than you would want to pay for these parts.

SeaRat

Hey guy there is one on ebay right now 2nd stage only $15 or best offer. It is a rare early veriosn. I have some. The top cover fits inside the bottom cover. Later Mike.

Be careful picking up the original Dacor Dart, as the LP hose has a special fitting, and that is not included in these two second stages. You need the LP hose too, or you should not buy the second stage.

This is not true of the Dart II regulator, which uses the standard hose. I have enclosed breakdown photos of the two Dart second stages, which show the differences in the LP hose, and other design features. The first photo shows the special LP hose connector required on the original Dacor Dart. I did not include it on the other Dacor Dart II breakdown, as it is the same standard fitting used by most regulators. I just realized that I oriented the LP seats on these photos backwards; they should be pointed the other direction. :wink:

I just found a Dacor valve which may fit the bill on E-Bay. It is a bit expensive though at the "Buy it now" price, but you could make an offer.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_7382.jpg
    IMG_7382.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7383.jpg
    IMG_7383.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7384.jpg
    IMG_7384.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7385.jpg
    IMG_7385.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7386.jpg
    IMG_7386.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7388.jpg
    IMG_7388.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
FJ,

One of the main limitations on the Dart regulator's breathing characteristics is the low pressure diaphragm in the second stage. I have substituted a silicone diaphragm (not a perfect fit, and I had to cut screw holes in it), and got a pretty satisfactory result. The diaphragm size is important and needs to be able to seal once the two pieces are screwed together.

My Dart II has a venturi chute which whistled until I bent it a bit. Now it is better, but at low inhalations still has a weird sound.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom