Best 'version' of Scubapro MK 5 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
While I know the version with a 4 or 5 LP post turret and also with a heavier yoke (rated to at least 3000 psi) are preferred, my question relates to the ambient chamber body style.

I've got (2( MK 5's with the 4 large openings in the ambient chamber, and (5) MK 5's with the SPEC ambient chambers (lots of tiny holes in the ambient chamber) into which Christolube can be used.

None of my units are filled with Christolube, and I wasn't really planning to do so as I'm a warm water diver (although I do also own 2 'sealed' Atomics too).. As Scubapro doesn't use a 'ambient chamber rubber band like Atomic does to 'contain' the Christolube, I didn't want Christolube oozing all over the place.

With these assumptions/background, I think the non-SPEC versions are better as they should be much easier to rinse out the ambient chamber than the SPEC versions.

Would you agree ?

(reason I ask is I might have enough spare non-SPEC ambient chambers in stock to convert maybe 2 or 3 more of my SPEC versions into non-SPEC versions, IF it makes sense.)

Karl

Yes. For the type of diving you've described (warm water) and for the reason you've stated (easier to rinse.) But I don't think I would go through the trouble of replacing the chambers until they need servicing again which may be never.

Even with the small ambient chamber holes, a good long (overnight) warm water SOAK-not rinse will get the job done.

Yes. For the type of diving you've described (warm water) and for the reason you've stated (easier to rinse.) But I don't think I would go through the trouble of replacing the chambers until they need servicing again which may be never.

Even with the small ambient chamber holes, a good long (overnight) warm water SOAK-not rinse will get the job done.

Hi Couv,

My scenario of concern would be say. a week long salt-water (ocean) trip where gear isn't really rinsed/soaked during the whole trip. :)

I've since acquired a couple more (unserviced) MK 5's that will be needing service, so I'd be wanting to convert those 2 units over while they're all opened up for service anyway.

If you're diving every day then salt crystals do not have a chance to form. Crystals don't form until a reg begins to dry. A quick blast with a water bottle into the ambient chamber (hats off to Awap for that one) between dive days will suffice until you get home to do a proper soak.

I have the environmental chamber on my Mk 5, and have had it that way for maDny years. I use silicone grease inside, and have never used Christolube. If you are diving it in warm salt water, I think you can remove the two caps with an Allen wrench, and probably get a good flushing without actually removing the chamber. I would only do this if I had no lube (silicone or Christolube) in the chamber though.

Are you aware of the advantage from air flow/resistance under deep dive conditions and high exertion rates of the 5 port (with the primary second stage on the top port) over the 4 port first stage?

SeaRat

I have the environmental chamber on my Mk 5, and have had it that way for maDny years. I use silicone grease inside, and have never used Christolube. If you are diving it in warm salt water, I think you can remove the two caps with an Allen wrench, and probably get a good flushing without actually removing the chamber. I would only do this if I had no lube (silicone or Christolube) in the chamber though.

Are you aware of the advantage from air flow/resistance under deep dive conditions and high exertion rates of the 5 port (with the primary second stage on the top port) over the 4 port first stage?

SeaRat

I've got:

(4) 5 port turret with SPEC chamber
(2) 4 port turret with non-SPEC chamber
(2) 5 port turret with non-SPEC chamber
(1) 2 port turret with non-SPEC chamber (to be used as parts donor to help convert one of my SPEC 5 port turret units into a non-SPEC 5 port turret version)

spare ambient chambers: (1) non-SPEC / (3) SPEC

So basically I've got (2) non-SPEC chambers available to convert (2) of my SPEC 5 port turret units into (2) non-SPEC 5 port turret versions.

I'll admit my main focus (with respect to the 1st stages anyway) was to end up with with the maximum number of non-SPEC 1st-stages as possible, I was less concerned about the 4 posrt vs 5 port turret issue. I was familiar with the concept of the 5 port turret being preferable, so my plan was to have (2) of my (as of yet unserviced) 5 port SPEC units fully serviced, upgraded to SS turret bolts, and converted over to non-SPEC units, so that once that's done I'd have:

(2) 5 port turret with SPEC chamber
(2) 4 port turret with non-SPEC chamber
(4) 5 port turret with non-SPEC chamber

I'm a deep diving recreational diver (on 'air' or typical EAN 32 or EAN 36 mixes) but not 'technical' so I think using that 5th LP port for 'high flow' wouldn't be anything I'd need to worry about. I'm presently not even using that 5th post on any of my reg sets that already have a 5th port available, so it's not like I'm feeling like I'm missing out on anything noticeable, am I ?

So far, I've fully assembled (4) complete reg sets:

(on these 4 sets, I've just finished preliminary tweaking of all their 2nd stage orifices for the 109/156s, all fully upgraded to balanced adjustable with silicone diaphragms/diaphragm covers/exhaust-T's)

(2) 5 port turret with non-SPEC chamber
(1) 5 port turret with SPEC chamber
(1) 4 port turret with non-SPEC chamber

Last edited:

SeaRat

Yes, I'm aware that it makes absolutely no practical difference whatsoever. The overall airflow of the MK5 is FAR higher than any 2nd stage will demand, even at deep sport diving depths.

Back to the issue of the SPEC holes, I believe there is no practical concern for using the MK5 with the smaller holes. I do have one that I've packed with tribolube, mostly to see if it appears to affect the condition of the ambient chamber when I rebuild it. It's been a few years, well over 100 dives, I just haven't been motivated to rebuild it because it's still locking up perfectly. But others that I've used without any sealant have always looked fine at rebuild time, just soak as Couv described.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom