Leaky Scuba Pro Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello all, so i recently got gifted an old Scuba Pro Pilot from my grandfather that bought it new and he has had hundreds and hundreds of dives on it but after sitting for a couple years or so it seems like it had developed a leak. When i submerged it in the water it will not stop free flowing. And it is not a whole lot of air it is just a constant stream of bubbles coming out of the mouthpiece and exhaust. I was thinking maybe new o-rings if i can find them or just adjusted. I would love to get this reg working because of the sentimental value and they are known to be wonderful regs! -thanks all, Eric

I doubt if you will find an authorized Scubapro dealer who will touch it. It might be hard to even find one who knows what it is.

It is possible that an adjustment will stop the leak. Start by determining whether it is an original Pilot or an "upgraded" Pilot. The original is harder to find an probably a bit better performer but it is rather complex. The upgraded version uses the innards of the D-series which, although no longer supported by Scubapro, has parts available from a number of sources.

This is an upgraded model: Vintage Scubapro Pilot Regulator Converted to AIR1 | eBay It has the cap with I high crown and there is a slot in the purge button to insert a purge depressor for storage (pictured).

This is an original:
:
th

It has NOT been converted which is a blessing in disquise if i can figure out how to get it to stop leaking. I think i will see if my lds will look at it. I hope they will because Tom Leaird (owner) used to dive one and work on them i think. Thanks awap for the help :)

It has NOT been converted which is a blessing in disquise if i can figure out how to get it to stop leaking. I think i will see if my lds will look at it. I hope they will because Tom Leaird (owner) used to dive one and work on them i think. Thanks awap for the help :)

The first original pilot that I picked up was leaking just a bit. But I could see that it had black o-rings so must have had a somewhat recent service. I gave it a bit of christolube through the inlet and loosened the set screw just a bit. That was over 2 years and 100 dives ago.

Good luck. Please let us know how yours works out.

The first original pilot that I picked up was leaking just a bit. But I could see that it had black o-rings so must have had a somewhat recent service. I gave it a bit of christolube through the inlet and loosened the set screw just a bit. That was over 2 years and 100 dives ago.

Good luck. Please let us know how yours works out.

All is well! I got it to stop leaking by lubing up all the o-rings in the reg to get them to seat better and the spring to the top that pushes the pin down (best way I could explain it lol) was not as springy as it used to be from use, so I stretched it out a bit and the regulator doesnt leak a bit! I cant wait to use it next weekend on my first dive of 2015! Thank you for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom