July 5, 2014 Race Rocks (near Victoria) video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay wow, the Island has way better sites than the mainland. The amount of sponges and encrusters is insane!

I am aware that this site is famous for the Sea Lions, are these guys seasonal?

Okay wow, the Island has way better sites than the mainland. The amount of sponges and encrusters is insane!

I am aware that this site is famous for the Sea Lions, are these guys seasonal?

There are sometimes a few sea lions year around (and elephant seals). On the day we went, there were just harbour seals (splashing around eating salmon). The majority of the sea lions (mostly Steller's and some Californian) are around in Fall and Winter. They mostly leave again in Spring.

I enjoyed the video! A couple of years ago, my husband and I dove Race Rocks with Diver0001. We did the dive at the base of the lighthouse, and it was one of the prettiest sites I've seen underwater, anywhere in the world. We didn't get to do the sea lion dive, because we didn't load fast enough and missed slack, but if what we did was a second choice, I really wondered what first choice looked like. Now I know!

The wall at West Race Rock is my favorite dive off Southern Vancouver Island. I don't get out to Race Rocks very often. I'll only go when the current table shows a decent slack at a decent time, otherwise you don't get to do the good spots. Then there's the wind. You can only get out there on a reasonably calm day. The dive charter out there is frequently cancelled due to wind. I lucked out last weekend. It was dead calm, there was hardly any current and the visibility was great.

We had no wind at all, and bright sunshine, even though the weather was cold (it was November). Visibility was also fabulous. We were very lucky.

Wow - great video. Glad to hear of the nice dive.

I'm jealous - we dived there last weekend (Sat) and it was pea-soup. First dive was skipped Race Rocks due to fog, so dived Albert Head (10ft+? at best on bottom). 2nd dive, fog cleared, Rocks was like 15ft+.
Nice life there, however.
There was a massive bull seal lion on the rocks and another few seals on a different rock/island. Didn't see them underwater, but in August there should be hundreds of them.
Those mitridium (plumose anemones) can get really large and reach up to like 1m (3ft) tall. Beautiful!

Question, if you don't mind:
What kind of video light(s) you using?

Again - great video. Thanks so much for posting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom