Wetsuits and Women's sizing, where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm getting my OW certification and have decided to buy my own wetsuit. My quandary, as if buying regular clothes wasn't hard enough, I know I'm up for a challenge where wetsuit sizing is concerned. I am 5'1" and 180lbs. Basically short and on the round side, mostly in my butt and thighs.

I'm looking for some advice on wetsuit brands you think may be more likely to fit someone of my body type. I guess something that offers more flexibility. That will hopefully save me some time.

Im going to start my search with my LDS, but one of the dive instructors said she didn't have great luck at the shop.

Thanks in advance!
Faith

edited to add that I'm looking to get a full wetsuit, 5mm

what type of diving are you planning on doing? are you planning on diving locally?

The best way to find a wet suit that fits is just try a bunch on. Some brands will fit better than others. Also, because you're short (so am I....about the same height as you) you will want to ask your LDS of people in your area who do alterations on wet suits. Don't be afraid to try on sizes that you believe might be much bigger than what you'd normally try on in regular clothing. The important thing is that the wet suit doesn't bind or pinch anywhere, the neck isn't choking you, and you can move your arms freely. I've found that after wearing my wet suits, they do loosen up.

I've gone to multiple dive shops to try on suits. Not all dive shops carry the same brands. I know it's a pain in the rear to have to drive around to find a suit that fits, but once you find one you like, you'll be happy you did. Also, if you find a suit that fits (although it might need some alterations), take a look at online dive shops that carry the exact same suit and see what the price is. It could be a good negotiating price when you go to a dive shop. Also, don't buy a wet suit online if you haven't tried the exact one on in a store. I've found that many brands of wet suits fit differently.

Good luck!

Sorry to say, but based on info you provided it will be very hard for you to find an off the rack suit that will fit. Before you run out to every dive shop in your area and kill yourself trying on suits.... Go to several manufactures web sites (Henderson, AquaLung, Bare ) and look at the sizing charts. Compare the sizing charts with your body specs, then go and try on suits that seem to be in the ball park. If none of these charts seem to be close you may have to go to a custom made suit. Good luck.

FaithC,

You are probably outside the stock height/weigh/proportion envelopes of any stock suits. This is no problem whatsoever, a custom suit can be tailored to fit you for about the same money as a quality off the rack suit, more here.

Your suit needs to fit well for comfort and safety so please do not compromise on this. Wetwear gets frequent high marks.

Pete

yes, custom suit, or you can try a suit made of superstretchy neoprene.

where are you planning to dive? 5mm sounds like maybe not enough at home, but too much for many people in warm water.

The best way to find a wet suit that fits is just try a bunch on. Some brands will fit better than others. Also, because you're short (so am I....about the same height as you) you will want to ask your LDS of people in your area who do alterations on wet suits. Don't be afraid to try on sizes that you believe might be much bigger than what you'd normally try on in regular clothing. The important thing is that the wet suit doesn't bind or pinch anywhere, the neck isn't choking you, and you can move your arms freely. I've found that after wearing my wet suits, they do loosen up.

I've gone to multiple dive shops to try on suits. Not all dive shops carry the same brands. I know it's a pain in the rear to have to drive around to find a suit that fits, but once you find one you like, you'll be happy you did. Also, if you find a suit that fits (although it might need some alterations), take a look at online dive shops that carry the exact same suit and see what the price is. It could be a good negotiating price when you go to a dive shop. Also, don't buy a wet suit online if you haven't tried the exact one on in a store. I've found that many brands of wet suits fit differently.

Good luck!
Good advise up to where you wrote about online price..Do not waste the LDS time by trying on a suit there, learning about any benefits/features of it from sales staff and then rudely purchasing it online. Very often there is no difference in price ..
I had 1 customer purchase a 3mm Henderson thermoprene suit online after she tried it on with us here at the LDS and when I asked her why, after we spent the time and effort of insuring it was right, she said it was cheaper online..I asked her what she paid and she tells me it was $207...We have the same suit for $200. I do not know how she can claim it was cheaper.

Good advise up to where you wrote about online price..Do not waste the LDS time by trying on a suit there, learning about any benefits/features of it from sales staff and then rudely purchasing it online. Very often there is no difference in price ..
I had 1 customer purchase a 3mm Henderson thermoprene suit online after she tried it on with us here at the LDS and when I asked her why, after we spent the time and effort of insuring it was right, she said it was cheaper online..I asked her what she paid and she tells me it was $207...We have the same suit for $200. I do not know how she can claim it was cheaper.

I wasn't suggesting she buy it online. I believe in being faithful to an LDS; however, it never hurts to tell the LDS that you found the exact same suit online at a different price. Many shops will match the online price. This is what I stated:

It could be a good negotiating price when you go to a dive shop.

what type of diving are you planning on doing? are you planning on diving locally?

I would like to try some Rhode Island diving, but also my husband and I vacation primarily in the Caribbean. We are currently planning a trip to Oahu next year. So a bit all over.

---------- Post added February 11th, 2013 at 06:57 PM ----------

FaithC,

You are probably outside the stock height/weigh/proportion envelopes of any stock suits. This is no problem whatsoever, a custom suit can be tailored to fit you for about the same money as a quality off the rack suit, more here.

Your suit needs to fit well for comfort and safety so please do not compromise on this. Wetwear gets frequent high marks.

Pete

Would a LDS help with the measurements for this? I would trust that they have the experience to properly measure for a good wetsuit fit. Also, if I were to find something that fit but needed alterations, how is that typically handled?

Thank you for all the responses! This certainly helps. I'm wondering if I should forgo the trek around the state to all the dive shops or just go to mine and if nothing fits, ask for their help with a custom order. Well, I think I will start a spreadsheet for all the brands and their sizing.

Back
Top Bottom