What is the best recreational wreck dive in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirin

Registered
Reaction score
I havent dove many of the wrecks in south florida. But, i was wondering what people thought was the best overall recreational wreck dive in florida?

Things to consider: Penetration, Marine life, Current, Depth, Visibility, Experience level, etc.

I have some OW certified friends who would like to do a wreck dive. So i am looking for something very interesting and fun. something that makes them say "WOW" but is also isnt too advanced for them.

How much experience do they have in various conditions?

The Eagle is my all time favorite, but it's a tad deep for beginners. Of course, you didn't say if they are beginners.

Shallower and safe to penetrate is the Ancient Mariner in the Deerfield Beach/Pompano area.

Off Panama City is an easy, but fun wreck called the Black Bart.

The Bay Ronto off Boca Grande is deep (about 110) for beginners, but it's a true wreck and a cool place to visit, although it is about 30 miles off shore.

I also enjoyed the Fin Barge off Bradenton, about 80 - 85 feet deep, it's huge and fun.

They are OW certified, have dove wrecks etc. They would be looking for swim through type wrecks, where no penetration line is needed.

I remember there was a tug boat off pompano in 65ft of water where you could swim through the pilot house. It was sunk around 2000. Anyone remember what that wreck is called?

There are many wrecks here in the Fort Lauderedale area with OW range. All that I have dove have some penetration, mostly big swim thrus, nothing where I have had to run a line. I have attached a link to a local operator that highlights a lot of the local wrecks here. Hope that helps. Oh and my favorite locally is The Sea Emperor. I know it gets hit hard with divers, but the interaction of the marine life just tickles my soul.

http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/Wrecks.html

Agree with the D4F-- Sea Emporer. Shallow (70ft. I think to the sand), lots of sea life, and a fun dive if you like the critters- moray eels, goliath groupers, and the stingrays.

down4fun:
There are many wrecks here in the Fort Lauderedale area with OW range. All that I have dove have some penetration, mostly big swim thrus, nothing where I have had to run a line. I have attached a link to a local operator that highlights a lot of the local wrecks here. Hope that helps. Oh and my favorite locally is The Sea Emperor. I know it gets hit hard with divers, but the interaction of the marine life just tickles my soul.

http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/Wrecks.html

Ahhhh thats it. The united carribean.... thanks, forgot about this one. Its a good beginner wreck dive!

The United Caribbean ain't the dive you remember and it ain't a tug, either. I still love it, but the hurricanes in 2004 tore it up and those of 2005 broke it in half. The stern section is alone and tossed on its side. The cargo hold (something missing from tugs) is pretty much flat on the bottom. The bow is still intact.

The Sea Emperor is a fun dive, but it's not much of a "wreck" dive.

Why not the Spiegel Grove? It was a fine dive even before it was uprighted by Hurricane Dennis.

Kirin:
I remember there was a tug boat off pompano in 65ft of water where you could swim through the pilot house. It was sunk around 2000. Anyone remember what that wreck is called?

Unless it wasn't off of Pompano, and was off of Ft. Lauderdale instead. There is a tug that fits your description there, I have it marked as 76', so that was probably near the bottom. It is resting pretty much on its right side, and the pilot house doors and center walk-way/hallway, front to rear, are completely open. Might that be it? Oh, the name? Of course I don't have the name... I put it on a MS Word dive log that I didn't update after a friend reminded me of the name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom