"Just Give Me a KISS!"
One day, last October (2003), this really friendly Hawaiian Monk Seal came up and started playing with us. it was truly amazing. They claim that there are less than 800 of these creatures left in existence. What can we do to help?
Aloha Kris B,

Thanks for your comment. I can understand if you're confused by the context of this picture. However, maybe if you were actually there at the beach when the photo was taken you wouldn't dis me with a "1" rating. This seal came up to us. Lots of us. It wouldn't leave us alone, much like a very friendly puppy or kitten. I wouldn't approach these types of animals to go shake their flipper like this one was letting me. It was a very interesting day to say the least, one of the most memorable of all of my 24 years of diving. If a seal comes up and gives me a kiss, I'm gonna let him (or her). Same thing if it's a whale, a turtle, a dolphin, or any other animal I encounter. We were both better in the long run. There was much more harm given to this animal by the wildlife rangers who glued a satellite transmitter to his back after netting him and freaking him out than I did by meeting face to face. It was a wonderful experience, you will know what I mean if you're lucky enough to have it happen to you some day.

Oh, and to "The Great Orca" thanks for your "10" vote as well! SHAKA BRAH!

Isn't nature great at times! What a wonderful experience. Only gave you a 7 because the picture itself was not exceptionally high quality.

Media information

Category
ScubaBoard Members
Added by
Shaka Doug
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back