Rockport - Kinghorn Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcs_scuba

Reaction score
Well the line was there on Tuesday. Today we discovered that the line to the Kinghorn is missing, along with the steel wheel that was being used as the anchor at the customs dock. I can see where this wheel was dragged through the mud, down over the enbackment. So I don't think it was a diver, more like an anchor hooked it and was dragged to who knows where. Three large searches for the line did not turn up anything. It is late enough that I would guess that this will not be repaired until the fall.

Mike Ryan

Mike,
Are you thinking that someone may have removed the line intentionally ?

I was under the impression, from last season's fiasco, that diving from shore at Rockport was'nt "encouraged" by the local's..... did'nt they pass a by-law that prevents divers from doing this???

I'd love to do a shore dive from there again - I recall the vis is wonderful there at this time of year.
I've avoided this area because of all the past problems .... I don't want a confrontation after a dive :(

Barb

They passed a bylaw to prohibit swimming (diving) from the boat ramp. During the off season you can dive from the RBL dock and exit using the heavy duty stainless stell ladder they installed (just in case someone falls of the dock, they installed a nice wide ladder that will easily support a diver in doubles :wink: ) No shore diving from there once the cruise boats start running (soon)

I don't think it was intentionally removed, will know more later this morning. Diving in the shoulder seasons when the boat line is not running is fine. Rockport Boat Line may start operating this week on a limited schedule and have not heard about next weekend. Vis is not what it was 2 weeks ago with all the rain and run-off.
Diving is not allowed from the boat ramp unless you are leaving it via a boat. If all goes well this morning I will have a mooring on the Kinghorn.

Mike Ryan

The mooring is on the bow of the Kinghorn, I put it on Sunday morning. Do to a free flow while working on this I did not follow the line back in to see how much is left.
Regular Rockport updates at ontariodiving dot com

Mike Ryan

RBL will be operating one boat tomorrow and Sunday, so far 9 - 3 but if the weather holds and the crowds come, they will run later each day.
The Line, today I found the line is intact from the small power boat out to the Kinghorn. Evidence indicates it was snagged by some innocent fishermen and snapped after awhile.

Current is still there but mild compared to earlier in the week, vis is 30 feet, temp 39.

Mike Ryan

Back
Top Bottom