2nd Stage Alternate Air Source

Do you have a 2nd Stage Alt Air Source?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First things first, if you dive twins my ramblings dont apply...

If you mean an alternate air source, like a Pony, then I always dived with one in the UK. Havent quite got round to getting one here but it's next on the list as I feel rather uncomfortable without it.

This isnt a comment on my faith in my buddy atall, I wouldnt dive with them if I didnt trust them, but we will all at times (especially in penetration dives for example, as happened to me once hence the pony) be in a position where you cant easily get to them or them to you.

For that reason only I prefer that extra reassurance of a little independance.

If you mean a 'spare' demand valve on the primary air source, then I wont dive without one.

HTH
Si

Its an interesting point tho, in the UK ponies are very common, if you dont dive twins, you dive a pony, and I havent seen many here, any thoughts? Am I just bumbling about with my eyes shut?!

Well it's good to see that people do have it. I was curious because the 2nd Stage Alt Air Source doesn't come with your first stage/second stage reg that you purchase, so I was seeing how many people do actually pay extra to get the 2nd regulator. Thank you for everyone's reply, makes me feel much better spending the extra money to get it.

They don't come together because people may make different choices for their alternate depending on their type of diving and other factors, though often dive shops will have suggested combinations or offer packages. (Often people also buy 1st and primary 2nd stages in combinations other than the ones that normally come together.)

But if the question is whether you should get one, absolutely you should.

I dove twins back in highschool 22 years ago... one thing I learned... when the one finds out about the other - diving is over!

Happy Diving

Simon L:
First things first, if you dive twins my ramblings dont apply...

If you mean an alternate air source, like a Pony, then I always dived with one in the UK. Havent quite got round to getting one here but it's next on the list as I feel rather uncomfortable without it.

This isnt a comment on my faith in my buddy atall, I wouldnt dive with them if I didnt trust them, but we will all at times (especially in penetration dives for example, as happened to me once hence the pony) be in a position where you cant easily get to them or them to you.

For that reason only I prefer that extra reassurance of a little independance.

If you mean a 'spare' demand valve on the primary air source, then I wont dive without one.

HTH
Si

Its an interesting point tho, in the UK ponies are very common, if you dont dive twins, you dive a pony, and I havent seen many here, any thoughts? Am I just bumbling about with my eyes shut?!

Yes, the question confused me too, I was thinking an 'independent alternative air source', can I change my vote. While I was reading this thread it reminded me of doing my OW course in Australia in '88, I had never heard of an Octopus (for diving that is), we were hiring all of our gear back then, finally I think it was Fiji that same year where I got to actually have an octopus and a BCD as well, we had horse shoe collars in our course. Thinking back now, not having an octopus was just plain stupid, from my intructors point of view it was just a way to 'save a buck'. In my mind I can still see her (my instructor) screaming at us under the water!

BrianS:
Just curious, how many people have a Alt Air Source?

Been diving for bugs in Florida for years and the Commerical Diver I go with would not let me go with him unless I had at least a 19 cu ft pony - totally separate tank and reg system.
http://www.irishmansoftware.com/mar15_02c.htm
I've never needed it, but do take a breath or two with my eyes closed on most dives.

Geo / The Irishman
Melbourne, Florida

Everyboby i know has a second reg or air 2 that i know of in our group of over twenty divers that go together. A few even carry a pony or spare air bottle, three or four not exactly sure. I wouldn't enter the water without both regs; in proper working order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom