Regulator Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisbraypi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wife bought me a pony bottle for Christmas. I need to purchase a regulator set up. Question: Do all bottles have the same size opening for regulator attachment? I don't see anything in the specs for ones I'm looking at that mention "this is for a full size tank" or anything like "this fits a 19cf bottle only".

Seems like it ought to be standard across all bottles, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, recommendations on 1st/2nd stage gear? Not looking to dump a ton of money, just a reliable set up for rec AOWD that want a redundant air source.

Thanks

Chris

The valve size is standard across tanks. A small 19 cf bottle will have the same valve as an 80cf, so it will fit your reg. There's no special reg 1st stage size for small bottles. I'm a big fan of Deep6 regs. They're solid, reliable regs for a lot less money than some of the big names.

Wife bought me a pony bottle for Christmas. I need to purchase a regulator set up. Question: Do all bottles have the same size opening for regulator attachment? I don't see anything in the specs for ones I'm looking at that mention "this is for a full size tank" or anything like "this fits a 19cf bottle only".

Seems like it ought to be standard across all bottles, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, recommendations on 1st/2nd stage gear? Not looking to dump a ton of money, just a reliable set up for rec AOWD that want a redundant air source.

Thanks

Chris

So what size and type pony tank did your wife buy you? and......what type valve? DIN, yolk or combo with insert?

Also curious as to which rec AOWD course wants you to have a redundant air source?

OP, someone may be trying to sell you something you don't need...

If you want a reliable reg that is probably the best value for the money, look at DGX. I am a Deep6 fan, but if I really wanted to save extra $, I'd go with DGX Xtra regulators. They preform really well.

OP, someone may be trying to sell you something you don't need...

If you want a reliable reg that is probably the best value for the money, look at DGX. I am a Deep6 fan, but if I really wanted to save extra $, I'd go with DGX Xtra regulators. They preform really well.

Thanks for the link, Mr. V!

So what size and type pony tank did your wife buy you? and......what type valve? DIN, yolk or combo with insert?

Also curious as to which rec AOWD course wants you to have a redundant air source?
19cf. As for the valve question, I'll go down to A-1 Scuba here in Denver and see what they've got on the wall and probably take their recommendation.

Planning on getting my Self Reliant certification on my next trip in a couple of weeks. I've been gearing up (no pun intended) for the past year. Redundant air was the last bit of equipment.

What is your current regulator? If you like it buy another. When it comes to regs having all the same brand and type makes life much easier.

19cf. As for the valve question, I'll go down to A-1 Scuba here in Denver and see what they've got on the wall and probably take their recommendation.

Planning on getting my Self Reliant certification on my next trip in a couple of weeks. I've been gearing up (no pun intended) for the past year. Redundant air was the last bit of equipment.
Got it.... For an AL 19CF pony, I personally would get a convertible valve with the insert that will allow for either Yolk or DIN...

On the issue of an AOWD course......I just thought it was unusual for any Advanced Open Water Diver course to require a redundant air source.........but now that I see that you are looking into a Self Reliant or Solo course....... the pony makes total sense.... Best of luck with your Solo course!!!! I personally believe that a bonified Solo course is one of the best con-ed courses that a rec diver can take.....even if you intend to always dive with a buddy.

PS..... Just curious as to where are you planning your trip for the Self Reliant / Solo course and what agency you are leaning towards? Only reason I ask is that I did mine last year on Bonaire with Brian at the SDI / TDS shop at Captain Dons and it was an excellent course that I would highly recommend.

Got it.... For an AL 19CF pony, I personally would get a convertible valve with the insert that will allow for either Yolk or DIN...

On the issue of an AOWD course......I just thought it was unusual for any Advanced Open Water Diver course to require a redundant air source.........but now that I see that you are looking into a Self Reliant or Solo course....... the pony makes total sense.... Best of luck with your Solo course!!!! I personally believe that a bonified Solo course is one of the best con-ed courses that a rec diver can take.....even if you intend to always dive with a buddy.

PS..... Just curious as to where are you planning your trip for the Self Reliant / Solo course and what agency you are leaning towards? Only reason I ask is that I did mine last year on Bonaire with Brian at the SDI / TDS shop at Captain Dons and it was an excellent course that I would highly recommend.
I won't be far from there - we go to Curaçao every year. Plenty of shore dive spots, plus a decent "city", shopping, restaurants, etc., for the wife. We usually stay in Lagun, and I've become real friendly with the dice shop there. But then there's B Divers at Cas Abou, who trains the Dutch military, so I trust them too.

And yes, I too was thinking of the convertible type. I can't think of a dive operation that I've ever been to that didn't have both. But ya never know. And having a convertible is almost like redundancy, right?

I keep thinking of Bonaire. One day, maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom