Identifying old Scubapro 1st and 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDiverDude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I've collected a few regulator sets as part of 'assembling my 1st set of 2nd hand diving gear' purchases. Now, to prepare for a 2-tank config I was looking at what I had lying around and initially dismissed as 'old garbage'.
A quick google search told me that in fact ScubaPro regulators are among the best, and I may have something more than capable of serving as a regulator set for on a 2nd tank. However, due to them being purchased 2nd hand, I know nothing about them or their age of their previous owners (with all the stuff I got 2nd hand, I couldn't even remember what set I got where...).

So, I got one scubapro 1st stage, looks like new. Was used for a drysuit as far as I know. 5 ports in total. No model or so listed. Looking at other 1st stages, it may be some type of mk2, although these apparently have been in production for ages already. No clue about the age.

Then I got a 1st stage + 2nd + octopus:
The octopus is really small, and may be missing a front plate or so. apart from a serial or so no brand. The hose has a sleeve with oceanic on it though.
1st stage look very basic just a metal cylinder, but has 2 + 5 ports on a rotating turret. The yoke looks old, and has scubapro on it. The 2nd stage has 'Mark X Dual Balanced' on it.
Based on earlier posts on this forum that I found, it could mean that the 1st stage is a mk10, the 2nd a special European version of the 109 / 156 only sold like this in that specific configuration. That could mean that the set is close to 40 years old already.

If anyone can help me Identify exactly what these are and how useful they can be, that would be really nice!
Also regarding the 1st stages: how do these two compare to each other or to an Aqualung Legend 1st stage? Are they designed for cold diving (Netherlands during winter), and/or environmentally sealed / easy or cheap to service?
Regarding the octo and scubapro 2nd stage: How well would they serve in cold water diving? Are they worth servicing, or am I better off buying another legend, to ensure I have a set built for cold water?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2023-11-07 17.50.38.jpg
    2023-11-07 17.50.38.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 2023-11-07 17.48.48.jpg
    2023-11-07 17.48.48.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 2023-11-07 17.48.39.jpg
    2023-11-07 17.48.39.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 2023-11-07 17.48.04.jpg
    2023-11-07 17.48.04.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 176
Looks like a MK 2, the octo, in my opinion toss in the trash and the other is a MK 10 1st with a 156 second.

Your first picture depicts an MK2+ first stage. Look at the serial number, the first two numbers indicate the year of production.

Your second picture depicts an Oceanic Zeta second stage with a broken face-plate.

Your third picture depicts a ScubaPro MK10 first stage.

Your forth picture depicts a ScubaPro Balanced Adjustable (156 or 109)?) second stage.

Attachments

• Balanced Adjustable - Schematics (1997).pdf
    144.5 KB · Views: 66
  • MK2 Plus - Schematics (2009).pdf
    51.9 KB · Views: 76
  • MK10 - Schematics (1993).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • ZETA - Schematics (2002).pdf
    663.2 KB · Views: 78
The MK-2 looks like it is from the 2000's. It is an unbalanced first stage which is cheap and easy to rebuild. It is not sealed.

The Zeta I am not familiar with but I think Oceanic still sells them. You could probably get a new face plate. Cost is unknown.

The MK-10 looks like late 80s, early 90s. I learned to dive with one back in 91. It is not sealed unless packed with grease. I am not sure if this particular version requires a spec boot. It is a great first stage and can be serviced.

The 156 is a great reg and can be serviced and upgraded to a G-250 spec.

Of the MK-X, it is a great reg and can be serviced. Do not let a dive shop tell you it is too old or unsafe. I would replace the hose though.

Thanks guys! So a mk2 from around '91 based on the serial (looks newer to be honest though), and a mk10 + 159.
I haven't used either of the 1st stages. The mk2 'looks' a bit safer due to modern appearance, but I'm a sucker for old stuff, and would actually like to keep the mk10 and 159 together and use them as a set, assuming no downsides /safety risks compared to the others or possible upgrades. At the same time I obviously want to use the best that is available to me.

So the main questions I have left right now:
-which combination (159 + mk2 or mk10) is best for tec / deep / cold dives, and why?
-which is easier / cheaper to service / will have parts available for longer?
-Is it recommend to upgrade for safety reasons considering wanting to use them for tec/deep / cold dives?

The MK-2 looks like it is from the 2000's. It is an unbalanced first stage which is cheap and easy to rebuild. It is not sealed.

The Zeta I am not familiar with but I think Oceanic still sells them. You could probably get a new face plate. Cost is unknown.

The MK-10 looks like late 80s, early 90s. I learned to dive with one back in 91. It is not sealed unless packed with grease. I am not sure if this particular version requires a spec boot. It is a great first stage and can be serviced.

The 156 is a great reg and can be serviced and upgraded to a G-250 spec.

Of the MK-X, it is a great reg and can be serviced. Do not let a dive shop tell you it is too old or unsafe. I would replace the hose though.
His version lacks the SPEC boot groove so cannot be properly environmentally sealed.

I dove mk10 & 109/156 combos in the cold waters of the Great Lakes for a number of years without incident. Once I went into technical diving, I went to sealed diaphragm firsts. I still have and use my old gear routinely. It will work, but there are better choices.

As to the mk2 - I use one on my alternate air source for ice diving with a 156 as the second.

All good regs with a legendary history.

Yeah pack maybe some lube inside and slices of tyre tube over the holes and you too can be environmental

Personally I take those regs to below recreational depths in the ocean, unsealed, and have a wonderful time

The mk2 'looks' a bit safer due to modern appearance, but I'm a sucker for old stuff, and would actually like to keep the mk10 and 159 together and use them as a set, assuming no downsides /safety risks compared to the others or possible upgrades. At the same time I obviously want to use the best that is available to me.

So the main questions I have left right now:
-which combination (159 + mk2 or mk10) is best for tec / deep / cold dives, and why?
-which is easier / cheaper to service / will have parts available for longer?
-Is it recommend to upgrade for safety reasons considering wanting to use them for tec/deep / cold dives?

The mk10 is arguably a "better" reg, being balanced - provided it's not totally trashed inside, but both are fully serviceable.

I've just "upgraded" my twins set from a pair of mk17/S600 to a pair of mk10/156 if that gives you any indication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom