Florida keys deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with a Key Largo operator who was not involved with the hunting frenzy and she said it was still crazy out on the water - large numbers of small, privately owned boats, etc. This quote from your article sounds about like it..
"Something about this, people just seem to lose their minds," he said. "They run aground, forget to check the fuel gauge. It's a frenzy. But it's good for business."
Very sorry to hear about the deaths. Hope to learn from them as info about the accidents becomes available.

"Last year 1,911 vessels and 7,694 people were inspected during the mini-season and 213 citations issued, most for undersize lobsters."

"Shorts, shorts, shorts," Pontin said. "There are plenty of bugs out there, but hardly any of them are big enough to keep."

:11:

At least it is a mini-season!!!

I don't see the what all the fuss is about. You want to dive for lobster? Just come up to Delaware!

Of course, bring a dry suit. The water's in the 50s at depth, and the bugs are at 100' or more and most of the divings about 20 to 40 miles offshore . . .

DivePartner1:
Of course, bring a dry suit. The water's in the 50s at depth, and the bugs are at 100' or more and most of the divings about 20 to 40 miles offshore . . .

Sounds all right to me! :D

or come to mass...whre the bugs are in about 25-30 ft, and the water is just as cold and you can shore dive...

Yawl can keep the cold, I'll wait a few weeks for the knuckle heads to stop terrorizing the bugs down here then I'll do a mid-week night dive and get a few to share with my wife.

Did anyone notice the age of the divers (53 and 58)? Can anyone speculate what the probably cause is with at least one of them??

Here is the local story on the Ft Myers man: http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050728/NEWS01/50728005/1075

Well, this is 4th or 5th hand information, but apparently a coworker knows one of the deceased. The rumor (and I use that word purposely) is that it was a diver off a private boat, had on weight belt, got caught in current while trying to release an anchor.......no more info than that.
Now, I know the speculation will begin; but, a reminder that that is just a handed-down piece of info as was passed on at work today. Either way, sympathies to both the deceased familiies.

This is why I will have nothing to do with mini-season, and most lobstering in general.

And, DivePartner1, you made your own point. The fuss is that there are lobster available in warm, tropical waters, in as little as 10 or so feet. It's considered enjoyable rather than the deliberate torture it must be up there. (IMHO, of course). Course, since I don't eat them, I excuse myself from the whole darn mess.

To my knowledge, the Tortugas are protected & you can't take bugs from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom