good LDS in NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scc135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I'm new to diving (Certified + 3 dives) and to the board. I was thinking about getting a BCD and was interested in seeing if anyone frequents a good dive shop in the NYC + surrounding areas like Nassau. I've been to 2 or 3 (don't remember which ones), but they all tried to rip me on something simple like a dry snorkel. I'm close to Leisure Pro, but I think I read somewhere that they aren't a authorized dealer. Is that true? Anyway, nice to be here and hopefully I'll develop my skills and be diving with some of you in the future!

I swear by LeisurePro. You'll see a lot of people on the board bashing them in favor of supporting your local dive shop instead. However, since LeisurePro *is* your LDS, you shouldn't have a problem. In my opinion, they've got great prices and service. I've bought quite a lot equipment for them and have never had any problems. In fact, I actually drive up there from Jersey (about an hour and a half drive). It's true that they aren't an authorized dealer for a lot of the gear they carry, but you have to decide how important that is to you. LeisurePro offers their own version of a warranty however. Sometimes the price difference is worth not having a manufactuer's warranty and sometimes it isn't. You'll have to decide.

Good luck,
J.

I went there before to get a wetsuit and their sales person was pretty rude, even for a new yorker. I feel like he talked down to me a few times because I'm new to diving. Definitely not a "stay and chat" kind of place... Also, I did a search on the web a while back and it said that they don't service their warranty well, but after looking some more on scubaboard, it seems that was the exception rather than the rule. I was looking more into getting a BCD now and reg later, but they don't have either BCD I was looking for, the Zeagle Brigade, or the Atmos XT which is out of stock. Guess I'll have to settle at trying the Zeagle Ranger. The other thing about Leisure Pro is that I can't really try the BCD underwater as they don't have a pool or anything. And once that thing touches water, the return policy is dead.

Well considering no LDS around me fills nitrox and they are all great at making you grab your ankles before offering you a "great deal", I will use LP and any other online store in hopes that it puts all the shops around me out of business.

I like Stingray Divers in Brooklyn.

Nice, friendly people. Noone's trying to rip anybody off, and it's a good place to meet people to go diving with.

by far the best dive shop on long island is LI Scuba in lindenhurst. When i first got into this sport about a year ago i visited a ton of shops. The guys at LI scuba were the only ones who were honest with me that i might not find gear to fit me. They were willing to not make a sale instead of selling me somthing that didnt fit me right. Check them out they are truly trust worthy, not to mention have hords of knowledge!

Village Divers is on 4th St. between 2nd and 1st.

Haven't been there, but have heard it's pretty kick ***. Of course they only built it after I moved from 4th and A.

Probably for the best. If I had an shop a block from me I don't think I'd ever get anything done. Ever.

7ftDiver:
by far the best dive shop on long island is LI Scuba in lindenhurst. When i first got into this sport about a year ago i visited a ton of shops. The guys at LI scuba were the only ones who were honest with me that i might not find gear to fit me. They were willing to not make a sale instead of selling me somthing that didnt fit me right. Check them out they are truly trust worthy, not to mention have hords of knowledge!

erf, LI scuba is kinda far out, like 30 minutes away in Suffolk. If I have time on the weekend I'll stop by.

Back
Top Bottom