good LDS in NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try that new place Empire Divers. I think they are on E 81 st. I have been in there a few times. They seem cool. Not too pushy with making the sales. Scuba Network's prices are good but they are very pushy on making the sale. I'll just leave it at that. More so in the 6 ave store. I have never been to Village divers. I've been to Adventure Scuba on York. Its ok. It was real busy the last time I went. Worse comes to worse, you can pick up a free copy of Dive Training Mag. Its a great read. Hope this helps.

By far the nicest and friendliest dive shop in NYC thus far has been Pan Aqua. Nonetheless, I still frequently opt for LP or Scuba Toys due to price. If were rich, I would spend more money in PA. I have taken a few classes from them and the instructors were very good. Pete M. being one of the best. As for Scuba Networks, always feels cold to me on 6th ave. Always. Stingray Divers in Bklyn has ALWAYS been very nice on the phone. I will eventually visit them due to the time and friendly feel I get from them. Never visited Empire. Now, I will say that the Scuba Network store in LI was very nice and I didn't even think I was in the same store as the one in Manhattan. I have visited the Manhattan store over 10 times in the past 4 years and have left several times without anyone even saying hello in a slow store. Not trying to pick on them because i want all dive shops to make me feel welcome and t do well. On the other hand, the LI store was friendly and prompt. Not a place to buy a BP/W, but great maybe for a class and basic gear. I will go there again. Village divers I have visited 3 times. Never felt I was wanted there unless I was ready to spend big bucks on doubles and go deep. I have recently in the last two years started diving more tech but they lost me early on. Perhaps I would feel dif. now about them but the warmth just wasn't there at first.

As for warmth and LP, not the best place for a new diver to shop. You really have to know what you want when you go in there. The staff is friendly to me because I have spent lots and they now know me but early on I always felt a little strange there. I guess it was because they weren't pushing gear at me, something I now prefer as a more experienced diver (than I was early on). Don't get me wrong, the guys aren't mean or anything, they just don't really seem to care if you buy or not but they certainly are happy to sell if ya wanna buy. Understand? My experience there has been a good one but I will look towards Scuba Toys in the future. ALways a pleasure on the phone. That is a LDS I would spend extra in if I lived close. Professional, friendly, smart, and warm. I'm blushing! JMHO's.

When Leisure Pro puts all those shops out of business, where are you getting your fills??

It's probably not on your way to anywhere unless you have kids at SU, or go diving in Ontario or the St. Lawrence, but National Aquatic Service in Syracuse is a really friendly place.

It's only a 4 hour drive away :cool:

Wherever you go, I'd pick friendly and helpful over price, since you'll need air fills after every dive and regular service and/or inspections for all your equipment, for as long as you dive.

Whatever extra you might pay on the purchase price will be completely insignificant when compared to your needs later.

You could easily put $8000 worth of air though a regulator in 10 years, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether you pay $350 or $400 up front, if the difference means getting a shop you like.

Check around and ask people in your area who they use.

Terry

scc135:
Hi, I'm new to diving (Certified + 3 dives) and to the board. I was thinking about getting a BCD and was interested in seeing if anyone frequents a good dive shop in the NYC + surrounding areas like Nassau. I've been to 2 or 3 (don't remember which ones), but they all tried to rip me on something simple like a dry snorkel. I'm close to Leisure Pro, but I think I read somewhere that they aren't a authorized dealer. Is that true? Anyway, nice to be here and hopefully I'll develop my skills and be diving with some of you in the future!

DEEPLOU:
If Leisure Pro did fills and actual service, it would be a LDS.

Right now all they are doing is trying to put the LDS out of business.

Leisure pro has one of the top scuba tech's in the market

rscalzo:
When Leisure Pro puts all those shops out of business, where are you getting your fills??
Nothing personal friend, but that's not what the original poster was interested in. Please take that old argument elsewhere.

BTW, most NYC divers don't get air fills in NYC (specifically in Manhattan) as bringing a tank, let alone 4 of them to a LDS in Manhattan can be a major pain. Heck, many NYC divers don't own tanks or even a car. For me, to take tanks to Pan Aqua would cost me more in parking and back pain and time than it would to fill my tanks 5 times. The idea of a "LDS" in NYC is a little dif. than in Jersey or FLorida. Some of the LDS's in Manhattan make money by selling trips and not gear. Most of the LDS's in Manhattan don't have the space or an 1/8th of the gear LP keeps on hand. I have visited several shops in Manhattan only to end up at LP becasue they had what I needed, when I needed it. Furthermore, the price dif. isn't 50 bucks on an item like a BCD in NYC. Many times try more like 2-300 bucks. Serious cash to pay a shop you may not get air fills from beacuae they are in Manhattan and you live in The Bronx or STaten Island. Moreover, the question was asked because many NYC divers have found that it is hard to find a good LDS in NYC due to travel issues (many don't have cars) and the fact that many of them want to charge Manhattan prices and have Manhattan attitudes. Again, nothing personal.

All that said, I still believe Pan Aqua comes the closest to providing an easy experience for NYC (Manhattan) divers but the prices are still very high.

JOET:
Leisure pro has one of the top scuba tech's in the market

Question: if LP serviced your reg back in May, and in Aug after abt 10 or 12 dives you had small free flow problem, will they check it out and adjust it while you wait without additional charge?

Another issue: was on dive boat this past weekend, someone on the boat had a Mares Abyss and said that a shop charged him $300 to service it.
Without mentioning what shop, I certainly would avoid them.

as far as i know if the tech is avelible he will do it on spot. in fact i had a little free flow problam i took it in to leisure pro, and 2 days later they called me saying its radey to be picked up and they even offerd me to ship it to me free.

leisure pro saved me a lot of dough

DEEPLOU:
Question: if LP serviced your reg back in May, and in Aug after abt 10 or 12 dives you had small free flow problem, will they check it out and adjust it while you wait without additional charge?

Another issue: was on dive boat this past weekend, someone on the boat had a Mares Abyss and said that a shop charged him $300 to service it.
Without mentioning what shop, I certainly would avoid them.

I believe this thread need not be hijacked by a LP debate, AGAIN AND AGAIN. However, with all respect and no attack meant to any poster, I have been in that position and they did exactly that for me while I waited. Actually, I was never charged in the first place and never will be as they honor the Scuba Pro warranty.

I'm not trying to defend LP specifically here. Just trying to point out that frequently this board can be used to spread rumors that aren't always true. The grapevine can be a dangerous thing. LP is a legal business and so are most LDS's. Customers have good and bad experiences in both LP and in other LDS's. That said, I hope we can all find a LDS we like and trust one day. NYC is one of those cities where that is a hard thing to do for many reasons stated above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom