The dive I went ahead with that I'd rather not talk about

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Santa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After some contemplation I've decided to post this thread. What made me hestitate was that I knew I'd have to own up. What made me go ahead was that I think this
could be a great learning forum and provide more openness about the "dirty underwear of diving" (a bizarre concept I know).

I'd like this thread to be a "confessional", for divers who have at some point sinned against the common sense that we all hold so dear.

I put it that most of us at one point or another went ahead with a dive, or did something stupid during one that we really, really shouldn't have - because of peer pressure, selfrightiousness, stubbornness, excessive zeal, poor judgment or whatever ...

For this to work properly I suggest a simple rule of engagement:

TO POST IN THIS THREAD YOU GOTTA SHARE YOUR BUMMER!

I cringe but Here's mine:

I once went ahead with a cold water nitrox dive on a submarine resting at 40 metres. In tropical conditions this would easily be within my limits but:

Sin 1: Although I'd gone that deep before, and done a fair amount of cold water diving I'd never been anywhere near that deep in cold water. Not a sin in itself perhaps but read on.

Sin 2: I was using a drysuit for only the third time and no I didn't take the course I just hung out with experienced drysuit divers and had them offer me guidelines. A lesser sin perhaps, but at such depth ...weeeeell

Sin 3: This is rather naughty I think: We were doing Nitrox and although one buddy was a commercial diver and the other a very experienced cold water and nitrox diver, I didn't do no nitrox course but relied on their advice, expertise and our planning (however careful).

Sin 4: Although I had been diving coldwater on a near-weekly basis for a while it had been shallow dives and because of huge pressure at work I did participate in the planning but was very high-strung and had no time to mentally and emotionally adjust to the trip. This to me is really bad - we're dealing with a real task-loading setup here.

Sin 5: The boat we went on was really too small, so everyone was at least a little seasick and overheated upon entry from working all our equipment in a confined and poorly balanced work space. My buddies both vomited but it was "just the water we drank on the way out" so we still went ahead.

Sin 6: We brought lot's of deco gear but no oxy-box. Granted the airborne coast guard was no more than 15 minutes away and the chamber as well - but still no Ox (Now why must they be so expensive?).

Sin 7: Although we'd planned and calculated the profile carefully only one of us carried a written copy of that plan. I went blindly by computer and that old workhorse memory, that does soooo well at 40 metres.

As it turned out we never got to the sub. One of my buddies (an otherwise very experienced cold water diver) got a sudden and very bad vertigo hit due to a speedy descent and a sudden stop at about 22 metres (effectively like the condition that may occur if you rupture an eardrum and cold water floods the inner ear - you totally and completely loose orientation and may feel very strong nausea).

It occurred instantly and without warning. He didn't know of the phenomenon and was sure he was going to faint and drown. So he darted for the surface towing the rest of us on the buddy line. We hung on to the shot-line and tried to slow down the ascent but never managed to reel him in or detach ourselves. I wouldn't call that a real sin, but I'll go with a type of hook that I can just tear loose next time I go deep, thank you.

THe ascent was from 22 metres and the total dive time 3-4 minutes. You do the math.

Everone made out okay and the whole thing turned into a useful learning experience. I got away with my all wrongdoings but today I'm really thankful that the dive was aborted (if not for the way it was). I'm not convinced the dive was doomed to go wrong - The overall plan, (short of errh ... the safety part) held up to broad post-dive scrutiny.

But I confess that at the time the dive felt like it was at the edge of my limits when in fact it was probably a good deal beyond.

Therefore Forgive me father Neptune, I allowed myself to get caught in the heat of the moment (man, dat sub coulda been fulla, like forgotten nazi gold and stuff). I hope that my example shall serve as a warning to all my diving brethren (and sisthren): Ye shall not be overconfident.

regards

Remorseful diver

Santa:
After some contemplation I've decided to post this thread. What made me hestitate was that I knew I'd have to own up. What made me go ahead was that I think this
could be a great learning forum and provide more openness about the "dirty underwear of diving" (a bizarre concept I know).

I'd like this thread to be a "confessional", for divers who have at some point sinned against the common sense that we all hold so dear.

I put it that most of us at one point or another went ahead with a dive, or did something stupid during one that we really, really shouldn't have - because of peer pressure, selfrightiousness, stubbornness, excessive zeal, poor judgment or whatever ...

For this to work properly I suggest a simple rule of engagement:

TO POST IN THIS THREAD YOU GOTTA SHARE YOUR BUMMER!

I cringe but Here's mine:

I once went ahead with a cold water nitrox dive on a submarine resting at 40 metres. In tropical conditions this would easily be within my limits but:

Sin 1: Although I'd gone that deep before, and done a fair amount of cold water diving I'd never been anywhere near that deep in cold water. Not a sin in itself perhaps but read on.

Sin 2: I was using a drysuit for only the third time and no I didn't take the course I just hung out with experienced drysuit divers and had them offer me guidelines. A lesser sin perhaps, but at such depth ...weeeeell

Sin 3: This is rather naughty I think: We were doing Nitrox and although one buddy was a commercial diver and the other a very experienced cold water and nitrox diver, I didn't do no nitrox course but relied on their advice, expertise and our planning (however careful).

Sin 4: Although I had been diving coldwater on a near-weekly basis for a while it had been shallow dives and because of huge pressure at work I did participate in the planning but was very high-strung and had no time to mentally and emotionally adjust to the trip. This to me is really bad - we're dealing with a real task-loading setup here.

Sin 5: The boat we went on was really too small, so everyone was at least a little seasick and overheated upon entry from working all our equipment in a confined and poorly balanced work space. My buddies both vomited but it was "just the water we drank on the way out" so we still went ahead.

Sin 6: We brought lot's of deco gear but no oxy-box. Granted the airborne coast guard was no more than 15 minutes away and the chamber as well - but still no Ox (Now why must they be so expensive?).

Sin 7: Although we'd planned and calculated the profile carefully only one of us carried a written copy of that plan. I went blindly by computer and that old workhorse memory, that does soooo well at 40 metres.

As it turned out we never got to the sub. One of my buddies (an otherwise very experienced cold water diver) got a sudden and very bad vertigo hit due to a speedy descent and a sudden stop at about 22 metres (effectively like the condition that may occur if you rupture an eardrum and cold water floods the inner ear - you totally and completely loose orientation and may feel very strong nausea).

It occurred instantly and without warning. He didn't know of the phenomenon and was sure he was going to faint and drown. So he darted for the surface towing the rest of us on the buddy line. We hung on to the shot-line and tried to slow down the ascent but never managed to reel him in or detach ourselves. I wouldn't call that a real sin, but I'll go with a type of hook that I can just tear loose next time I go deep, thank you.

THe ascent was from 22 metres and the total dive time 3-4 minutes. You do the math.

Everone made out okay and the whole thing turned into a useful learning experience. I got away with my all wrongdoings but today I'm really thankful that the dive was aborted (if not for the way it was). I'm not convinced the dive was doomed to go wrong - The overall plan, (short of errh ... the safety part) held up to broad post-dive scrutiny.

But I confess that at the time the dive felt like it was at the edge of my limits when in fact it was probably a good deal beyond.

Therefore Forgive me father Neptune, I allowed myself to get caught in the heat of the moment (man, dat sub coulda been fulla, like forgotten nazi gold and stuff). I hope that my example shall serve as a warning to all my diving brethren (and sisthren): Ye shall not be overconfident.

regards

Remorseful diver

This thread should probably be moved to the near misses and lessons learned section of accidents and incidents

stackingreasyBBs:
I'll say.

Also took some luck to live through it.

I Know I know I know.

And now, bearing in mind the proposed rules of this thread it would be cordial of you and other posters to offer up a bummer of your own, be it big or small.

regards

ScubaSixString:
This thread should probably be moved to the near misses and lessons learned section of accidents and incidents

You're probably right but I have no clue as to how you move a thread.

ScubaSixString:

I would tend to disagree. The Accidents & Incidents section seems to me to be the place to discuss single incidents. This thread, I think, is more along the lines of a general "Post about your personal stupid dive". As such, I think it has a place in Basic Scuba Discussions.

Santa, sorry to violate "the rule". I was looking for my original writeup of my particular stupid dive, but I can't find it. I will try to compose a condensed version.

scubafool:
The Accidents & Incidents section seems to me to be the place to discuss single incidents. This thread, I think, is more along the lines of a general "Post about your personal stupid dive". As such, I think it has a place in Basic Scuba Discussions.

I was thinking along the the same lines - it's the overall concept that I'm into rather than incident analysis although I'm not adverse to it. I've been over mine many times with different people and although I'll still be happy to listen to any comments, for me personally it was more a question of opening an area of debate in a proactive way I guess - and gathering a body of material to learn from at ones own leisure.

I'm not a big fan of rules myself so I'm only "enforcing" it to try to make that happen ;0)

Thanks for posting

Santa:
Thanks for posting

I've never deliberately made a dive that far out of my knowledge/experience/comfort zone. I have had a couple of heart stoppers, though:

- Like the dive where I started to swim through the door of the bridge of ship and got stuck on something. After the fact it would turn out to be a bit of metal that forced its way between the A-clamp on my reg and the tank-valve (I've since gone DIN). I couldn't move forward or backward, I couldn't roll over left or right or go up or down and my buddy contact was so crappy that I couldn't see my buddy and had no idea where he was. I was in the process of worming my way out of my BCD when my buddy found me and helped me get out.

- I wrote about another incident in This thread

- The dive where I rescued a diver who had gotten wrapped up in fishing line. He started sinking along a wall and I went after him, not thinking about anything except catching up with him. The incident started at 40 metres and we were so deep, and I was so narced by the time we caught him that I couldn't comprehend the numbers on my gauges and I had trouble thinking about what to do next. All three of us got out of that alive but it was flip of the coin and for the same money all three of us could have ended up dead. The thing I most vividly remember about being down there was my buddy franticly signing to ascend and me thinking "dude, what's your problem?". That was bad.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom