DIR reg recommendation, please .. Scubapro/ Apeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,

Please indulge my few basic questions: although I've been diving off and on since I was 15 in the 80s, the DIR approach is new to me.

I'm looking to buy a new regulator setup: I now live in Asia and dive predominantly in warm water, but originally come from Europe where my year round diving was dry suit only. So, looking for something flexible.

I currently have a set of Poseidon Cyclon regs, which although I really like, and were really popular in Europe when I bough them in the mid 90s, are impossible to service properly in Asia. So, also looking for a brand which is easy to service anywhere in the world.

Scubapro springs to mind, but I've heard good things about Apeks also. I would really appreciate any suggestions people may have: brands, models, combinations .. that would conform to the DIR approach, would be good general-purpose regs, and easy to service pretty much anywhere.

Thanks a lot!!

I prefer the Scubapro MK20 or MK25 first stage with G250 or S600 second stage on the long hose and backup/alternate R390. For warm water, single tank diving, the hose routing is very nice (better than my Apeks FSR/ATX200) and this setup can be serviced everywhere in Asia and elsewhere. OTOH, Apeks regs are probably easier to service if you plan to do it yourself.

ARRGHHH - I'm not going to give yet another recommendation for APEX's... GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! WHAT YOU WILL DIVE WITH!!!!

EDIT - Breathe in, breathe out... I'm calmed down.... :D Try a search on the subject! :05:

There are a few dozen or so threads covering this topic in great detail but you would notice that most choices come down to Scubapro and Apeks. I personally prefer Apeks and the general consensus is that they are easy to service and find repalcement parts, and are virtually bulletproof. A choice of DS4 and TX50 or TX40 should give you many years of trouble free service no matter what conditions you dive in.

just my 2 psi...

I have an Apeks ATX200 and a SP Mk25/S600. The Apeks is my primary reg set and the SP is my backup, simply because my Apeks breathes better than my SP (notice I used MY in that statement). You might find different results if you tested the two, based on how they are tuned. The Apeks I own is like taking a breathe of air without a regulator in your mouth. There is absolutely no cracking resistance or effort needed to breathe. The SP has a slight amount (very slight) of cracking resistance even at it's most sensitive setting. It is just enough to notice. If I would have never gotten the Apeks, the SP would be fine for me. But after the first dive with the ATX200, there was no going back to the SP Mk25/S600.

a few dozen threads is an understatement...you will get mixed reviews...some who love apeks...some who love SP...realistically both sets of regs are good:)

mrobinson:
ARRGHHH - I'm not going to give yet another recommendation for APEX's... GET WHAT YOU WANT!!!! WHAT YOU WILL DIVE WITH!!!!

EDIT - Breathe in, breathe out... I'm calmed down.... :D Try a search on the subject! :05:

(The idea is to contribute - I hope I'm taking my own medicine!)

Nice contribution! :06:

Hey seaexplorer8888, I think what m means to say is that both brands make regs that are just fine. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that neither brand is more DIR than the other...in fact, make and model probably have little to do with DIR. There are some DIR generalities concerning regs but I'll let someone else respond to that issue. I will say, from a Hogarthian point of view, while most mid to high end models are of good quality a significant difference may be seen in the hose routing options each offers and one would be wise to consider this when making their purchase.

I don't own any SP regs so I'll just give you my thoughts on the Apeks line.

DIN DS4s are great, economical, and route well for singles and doubles. They are pretty much basic, no frills, solid regs that have a long proven track record with the tech community. You can't go wrong with these.

There is a significant price jump when you look at the ATX 100 and 200 series. About the only thing you get for this, however, is a little sweeter hose routing with doubles. Some people might say that they breath easier than the DS4s, but I don't know that I can tell any difference on that count. Personally, I don't find the added expense worth it...and I am usually willing to spend what it takes to get the best. Yet my closet is full of DS4s with nary a ATX 200 in sight.

I have lots of pics of hose routing with the DS4s if you would like to see them.

Stephen Ash:
Nice contribution! :06:
Oh thank you! :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom