First (and last) regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicpub

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy my first regulator. I'm still a noob diver (I just completed my GUE fundies), but I'd like to progress to ice-tech-cave diving.

My main requirements are
  1. Easy to self-service - I want to do the maintenance and run diagnostics myself.
    1. I want to stick to one brand for servicing, so I prefer a brand I can use for everything regulator-related (deco bottle, bailouts, side mounts, etc.)
  2. I can use it in a dual tank configuration, deep and cold water dives.
    1. Ideally, I would love something that can work with ice dives, but realistically I will be diving in Antarctica or under ice only a few times, so if I need something rated to -2 for one week, I could rent it.
  3. GUE/DIR compliant (does it require four ports?)

I was looking at a few good models:
  • Poseidon Xtream (LGTM, but I heard concerns about catastrophic failures or IP - are the concerns valid or BS?)
  • Mares Navy II - it would be good if it had five ports.
  • Apeks XL4 (but it's rated "only" up to 4C, so prob not good enough for ice dives) or XLX50 (rated up to 2C, probably good enough for 99% of the dives)
I also heard about HOG/Deep6 regulators, but I don't know how well they are suited to cold-water diving.

EDIT: more than the "one and last" regulator (sorry for the clickbait 😏), I'm trying to understand which ecosystem I should focus on. Especially if I try to service my gear, sticking to one manufacturer alone would make my life easier.
Money it's not a huge concern - I like the idea of sticking to one manufacturer and focusing on diving like we do with Apple 🍎😆

What regs would be easier to service by myself?

Some regs seem to have a wider "usable range" at, give or take, the same cost. E.g., the Poseidon Xtream would allow me to dive in ice-cold water at the same cost as a Scubapro MK25. Any downside that I'm missing?

Get a pair of ScubaPro/Halcyon Mk25s for most things. Get a SP Mk17 or Apex DS4 to use in Antarctica.

Don't compromise your options by trying to make one regulator do it all.

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first regulator. I'm still a noob diver (I just completed my GUE fundies), but I'd like to progress to ice-tech-cave diving.

My main requirements are
  1. Easy to self-service - I want to do the maintenance and run diagnostics myself.
    1. I want to stick to one brand for servicing, so I prefer a brand I can use for everything regulator-related (deco bottle, bailouts, side mounts, etc.)
  2. I can use it in a dual tank configuration, deep and cold water dives.
    1. Ideally, I would love something that can work with ice dives, but realistically I will be diving in Antarctica or under ice only a few times, so if I need something rated to -2 for one week, I could rent it.
  3. GUE/DIR compliant (does it require four ports?)

I was looking at a few good models:
  • Poseidon Xtream (LGTM, but I heard concerns about catastrophic failures or IP - are the concerns valid or BS?)
  • Mares Navy II - it would be good if it had five ports.
  • Apeks XL4 (but it's rated "only" up to 4C, so prob not good enough for ice dives) or XLX50 (rated up to 2C, probably good enough for 99% of the dives)
I also heard about HOG/Deep6 regulators, but I don't know how well they are suited to cold-water diving.

To progress to ice-tech-cave, this absolutely won't be your last regulator. At least 5-6 are coming for sure, maybe 10. So don't worry about get the first setup for not-yet attained future goal. Get the first set, it will be good for current type of diving for a long time.

If you finished fundie, you should have good observation of what regs your local GUE divers or instructors are using. The simplest is to start with one of those.

My observation could be very location dependent if that helps. I see good number of Apeks, HOG, Deep6, scubapro variance, atomic, I have hardly ever see Poseidon and Mares.

If you finished fundies, you should have good observation of what regs your local GUE divers or instructors are using. The simplest is to start with one of those.
Almost all my GUE instructors were using Halcyon regs in class. Not a very meaningful sample. I agree that if there is a GUE group local to the diver then see what regs they are using. If the OP lives in Kona, there's a whole lot of nice diving to do there, and I'm a little confused by the interest in freezing waters. Hey @nicpub , did you take Fundies with Mer?

I'm in the Deep6 camp because being able to service my own regs has saved me more and more money as I started accumulating regs for doubles, then stage and deco bottles, etc. Having all my regs the same may not be realistic for everyone, but I like it. Deep6 are good, all-around regs.

I'm not planning to dive in Antarctica, but if I were going to shell out $20k or whatever for such a trip, I would probably not balk at the cost of acquiring a few more regs, a heated undersuit, heated gloves, and all that. As far as I know, the Deep6 regs are fine for normal cold-water diving. Antarctica or ice diving?--I really have no idea what that entails.

Almost all my GUE instructors were using Halcyon regs in class. Not a very meaningful sample. I agree that if there is a GUE group local to the diver then see what regs they are using. If the OP lives in Kona, there's a whole lot of nice diving to do there, and I'm a little confused by the interest in freezing waters. Hey @nicpub , did you take Fundies with Mer?

I'm in the Deep6 camp because being able to service my own regs has saved me more and more money as I started accumulating regs for doubles, then stage and deco bottles, etc. Having all my regs the same may not be realistic for everyone, but I like it. Deep6 are good, all-around regs.

I'm not planning to dive in Antarctica, but if I were going to shell out $20k or whatever for such a trip, I would probably not balk at the cost of acquiring a few more regs, a heated undersuit, heated gloves, and all that. As far as I know, the Deep6 regs are fine for normal cold-water diving. Antarctica or ice diving?--I really have no idea what that entails.
Yes, Halcyon/Scubapro MK25 and G260 in my class. They recommended the G260.

Really?? maybe things changed. When I took GUE classes, I saw very few Halcyon regulators. My Fundie instructors, one used Apekx DST, the other used SP mk25/s600. Later GUE class with Beto (best diver and best instructor I have met) he has DS4 on right post, Atomic M1 on left post. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom