Plastic Thread on Dive Rite XT1 first stage DIN regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

satsuyanshen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I recently bought a Dive Rite XT regulator set but when I got it I found the thread on the DIN valve is plastic. It seems all other major brands use brass thread instead. The XT1 regulator by itself is pretty heavy, I am not sure if using plastic thread is to reduce the weight.

I am also concerned that the plastic thread may not be as rigid as the brass ones and may be worn faster over time. I was wondering if it can be replaced with brass thread or the plastic thread can be replaced during maintenance service if worn too much? Am I over-concerned? Could anyone with XT1 share your experience on this?

Thanks!

If I recall correctly, the XT1 has what DiveRite calls black diamond carbon brass, which is fancy for black coated brass...

I would highly doubt that the G 5/8" thread is made of a plastic instead of brass.

If you feel adventures, poke the thread with a sewing needle in an inconspicuous place. You'll feel right away if it's brass or plastic.

I have no idea what they are made of but I have been diving them for years without issue. My guess is you are severely overthinking it.

No way is any DIN connection plastic, especially a well known US manufacturer like DR. Given how often rigs are lifted by the first stage (bad practice), the fitting would shear off pretty quickly.The liability exposure would be crazy.

Do you mean the handwheel portion of the DIN knob/thread? (Where the threaded barrel is bonded/molded into the plastic/composite handwheel?)

If so that is not ubiquitous, but extremely common. That is the way they are made on my HOG D1s/D3s and Titanium ScubaPro Mk11Ts. So it is not even an economy/premium difference.

It looks from pictures excactly how the XT1 is done. The handwheel is pretty obviously a textured plastic/composite and the threaded portion is much smoother and more characteristic of a plated metal material.
Dive Rite XT1/XT2 Regulator Package Din
XT2_XT1Kit_001_R1-copy-scaled_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Look for seem up in the handwheel recess where the threaded portion meets it. Likely there is a splined or polygonal interface.

If I recall correctly, the XT1 has what DiveRite calls black diamond carbon brass, which is fancy for black coated brass...

I would highly doubt that the G 5/8" thread is made of a plastic instead of brass.

If you feel adventures, poke the thread with a sewing needle in an inconspicuous place. You'll feel right away if it's brass or plastic.
Hi Tanks A Lot. Thanks for your suggested experiment. I tried poking the thread and the handwheel portion with a sewing needle. It did give me different feelings. I am pretty sure the handwheel portion is made of plastic where the needle can be poked into and I had some resistance when pulling the needle out, while the thread part didn't have such feelings -- the thread part was rigid and not puncturable.

Do you mean the handwheel portion of the DIN knob/thread? (Where the threaded barrel is bonded/molded into the plastic/composite handwheel?)

If so that is not ubiquitous, but extremely common. That is the way they are made on my HOG D1s/D3s and Titanium ScubaPro Mk11Ts. So it is not even an economy/premium difference.

It looks from pictures excactly how the XT1 is done. The handwheel is pretty obviously a textured plastic/composite and the threaded portion is much smoother and more characteristic of a plated metal material.
Dive Rite XT1/XT2 Regulator Package Din
XT2_XT1Kit_001_R1-copy-scaled_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Look for seem up in the handwheel recess where the threaded portion meets it. Likely there is a splined or polygonal interface.
Thanks -JD-. The textures of handwheel part and the thread part are different and they are made of different materials.

No way is any DIN connection plastic, especially a well known US manufacturer like DR. Given how often rigs are lifted by the first stage (bad practice), the fitting would shear off pretty quickly.The liability exposure would be crazy.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but even DR regs are made in Taiwan right next to all the other Apeks knock offs.

Not saying made in Taiwan is a bad thing but they are defiantly not made in the US or UK like Apeks.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble but even DR regs are made in Taiwan right next to all the other Apeks knock offs.

Absolutely true, although I couldn't pinpoint the exact manufacturer for their XT1 just yet. I fairly sure it's Well Marine Divers, although the closest they have in their Lineup is the FS-804 BK.

I guess DiveRite got a custom made batch of those or something very similar.

That being said, most of the smaller companies source their stuff from one of the bigger OEMs in Taiwan, like Well Marine Divers or Ocean Divers. It always gives me a slight chuckle when people buy those regulators because they are not made in China, which I guess they technically are not.

But as you said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with those regulators, it is great quality equipment.

Not saying made in Taiwan is a bad thing but they are defiantly not made in the US or UK like Apeks.
True but ownership of the company is in Florida - not beyond jurisdiction of US courts.

Back
Top Bottom