Trouble accessing spg when using stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
This was JJ's response to my question.

"This one is a tad goofy. I have found that stages and hip clips are best
placed below the gauge with the gauge on top but if I am using a leash with
multiple bottles that it is best placed at the very top. In this way the
gauge is always reachable. Other configs will work in most cases but
especially when towing a cluster of bottles it is hard to free the gauge if
you allow it to be trapped below the tow leash."

The only thing different than what I learned is the leash position for multiple bottles which seems pretty logical when you think about it. Since I have only carried one stage and immediately drop my O2 in a cave, it hasn't applied to me up to this point.

Let me add to this that, once you add tow leashes, etc. it is a mess and really does not mater. I often put it on the bottom, not because it is easier to reach but because I will rarely access it and it gets it out of the way more. Having said that, once you make the mistake of letting off the trigger and (when towing non-helium mixes on a leash) all of the tanks drop down, it is a real mess if the leash gets around the gauge. Clipping the gauge on the top reduces this problem. (Doesn't fix it.)

What some people used to do was take a small oval clip, the kind you screw back on, and attach it to the hole in the bottom corner of the plate. This is where the gauge went. In general, this is a bad idea and not a good long-term fix. So, while it may seem difficult to reach when you are first getting used to stages, keep in mind that long-term it really isn't that difficult and dealing with it getting in the way becomes a bigger issue than ease of reach. (The gauge gets in the way more using the alternative clip approach.)

Dan Gibson:
So do any of you use the plastic tubing on the leash or is it BS? A description of the size and maybe a picture would be nice. I already know about the leash GI3 has on his site that does not use the tubing. Exactly what does the tubing do? Does it prevent twisting of the leash?

Used both. It is more trouble to put the tubing on so I don't bother now. I "think" the rational for the tubing was it is easier to handle when you have tons of tanks clipped off to it. Sort of like the tubing on the stage bottle. As far as twisting, that really isn't too bad. Remember, this is a scooter only thing so the tanks are finding their way in the slip stream and aren't wobbling all over the place as they would be if just swimming around.

RTodd,

I did talk to Dave Sweetin about it and he mentioned one benefit he had experienced. It seems the tubing can reduce the chance of crushing your fingers when you have to move multiple bottles where some may be empty and others full. I didn't really get the impression he was pro or anti tubing, just that he benefitted from using it once.

RTodd:
Used both. It is more trouble to put the tubing on so I don't bother now. I "think" the rational for the tubing was it is easier to handle when you have tons of tanks clipped off to it. Sort of like the tubing on the stage bottle. As far as twisting, that really isn't too bad. Remember, this is a scooter only thing so the tanks are finding their way in the slip stream and aren't wobbling all over the place as they would be if just swimming around.

Dan Gibson:
RTodd,

I did talk to Dave Sweetin about it and he mentioned one benefit he had experienced. It seems the tubing can reduce the chance of crushing your fingers when you have to move multiple bottles where some may be empty and others full. I didn't really get the impression he was pro or anti tubing, just that he benefitted from using it once.

You are taking advice from Sweetin. <g> That is kind of what I meant about tons of bottles. In reality, I never put more than two per leash since you use slightly longer leashes to get the proper trail. It is a little beneficial when you are in a project UW tank monkey sort of roll and doing short runs where you may clip far more than two bottles per leash. But, on a typical dive, they are all full or all empty since you tow them in full, move them up to your shoulder as you breathe them, drop them and repeat. On the way back, you move empties back to the leash as you get to the next bottle to breathe.

Should I be concerned
03.gif

RTodd:
You are taking advice from Sweetin. <g>

JJ stated in a followup post:

Thanks for the call out. Yes, I misspoke. On occasion I have changed the pressure gauge order with larger stacks of towable gear. Yet, I do usually place the pressure gauge at the bottom; this is particularly true when dropping stages or with most basic diving.

It sounds like the SPG is in the hindmost position when viewed horizontally after all.

vodolaz:
JJ stated in a followup post:

Thanks for the call out. Yes, I misspoke. On occasion I have changed the pressure gauge order with larger stacks of towable gear. Yet, I do usually place the pressure gauge at the bottom; this is particularly true when dropping stages or with most basic diving.

It sounds like the SPG is in the hindmost position when viewed horizontally after all.

Think about it in practice. Two stage cave dive. When you get to the first drop, the top stage is definately getting unclipped. It is easier to do this if that is the topmost clip. I won't be accessing my SPG at any point between the time I left the surface and dropped the bottle. If my buddy is slow, I might check the gauge at the drop, but I probably won't. So, why put it there to get in the way.

For an ocean mix dive, with two deco gases, these will just be 40s. I will be moving these around at deco. During the dive, the few times I check back gas, I have plenty of time to find the spg on the bottom and put it back there and it is easy to move the 40s out of the way to get to it. SPG location is less of a get it out of the way issue in the open ocean situation, but it still generally applies.

I'm just getting confused by top and bottom descriptions. I put the SPG between me and my stage since I have no reason to access it immediately until the stage is dropped. I assume that is what you are describing in your first paragraph.

During my cave 2 class I believe we said SPG on top because during the predive check the stage hung below you due to it being full of 32%. It just seemed to make sense to call the stage the bottom at the time. I'm more inclined to use the description outside and inside as it seems to be a more accurate description.

RTodd:
Think about it in practice. Two stage cave dive. When you get to the first drop, the top stage is definately getting unclipped. It is easier to do this if that is the topmost clip. I won't be accessing my SPG at any point between the time I left the surface and dropped the bottle. If my buddy is slow, I might check the gauge at the drop, but I probably won't. So, why put it there to get in the way.

For an ocean mix dive, with two deco gases, these will just be 40s. I will be moving these around at deco. During the dive, the few times I check back gas, I have plenty of time to find the spg on the bottom and put it back there and it is easy to move the 40s out of the way to get to it. SPG location is less of a get it out of the way issue in the open ocean situation, but it still generally applies.

Sorry, my top and bottom is based on when standing up. When horizontal in the water it would be in the back. Putting it on the top/ front is easier when checking the spg right before going under but is less convinient the rest of the time. I simply check my spg before putting on any stages.

Dan Gibson:
I'm just getting confused by top and bottom descriptions. I put the SPG between me and my stage since I have no reason to access it immediately until the stage is dropped. I assume that is what you are describing in your first paragraph.

During my cave 2 class I believe we said SPG on top because during the predive check the stage hung below you due to it being full of 32%. It just seemed to make sense to call the stage the bottom at the time. I'm more inclined to use the description outside and inside as it seems to be a more accurate description.

I had JJ clarify it to me as well what top and bottom actually meant. He actually agreed with you :wink: My description was different, but it seems we both use the same procedure.

RTodd:
Sorry, my top and bottom is based on when standing up. When horizontal in the water it would be in the back. Putting it on the top/ front is easier when checking the spg right before going under but is less convinient the rest of the time. I simply check my spg before putting on any stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom