DIN vs Yoke Pricing -- SP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over 90% of the regulators sold in the US are going out with a yokes.

Very few divers buy a DIN only regulator, although my company, Zeagle will sell them for exactly the same price. Most of the time a DIN regulator is sold with the yoke convertor, because unless you own all your own tanks and can always bring them along, you will need the adapter.

The 300 bar DIN regulator with a "DIN to yoke convertor" fits every tank made... with no tools required.

Chad
Zeagle Rep.

I explored this pricing phenomenon when I bought a new pair of first stages.

What I found was that the retail prices for SP yoke and DIN first stages varied slightly with the cost of the first stage with a greater difference on expensive first stages than inexpensive first stages:

MK 25T Yoke, DIN = $93.00 difference
MK 25 Yoke, DIN = $43.00 difference
MK 17 Yoke, DIN = $28.00 difference
MK 2 Yoke, DIN = $25.00 difference

But the first stage prices alone are pretty misleading as you get a much better deal on reg packages. For example:

Mk 25 S600 Yoke, MK 25 S600 DIN, = $22.00 (rather than $43.00)

With the exception of the MK 25T, it is approximately $20 to $40 cheaper to buy the DIN version rather than to buy a yoke version and a separate DIN kit, at least through a US SP dealer.

So while the DIN variants are slightly more expensive, I think it mostly reflects increased production costs for the DIN attachment and, especially on the packages or on a MK 2 or even a Mk 17, the increased cost is quite reasonable and represents a substantial savings over buying a separate DIN kit.

In my case I bought a pair of Mk 17 DIN first stages rather than buy them as yoke regs and convert them with DIN kits as it saved me about $30.00 per first stage and I had no need for more left over yokes, knobs, and retainers.

In my opinion the DIN to yoke adapter is a pain as it extends the reg another 1/2 to 3/4 inch out from the valve. If the destination does not have convertible DIN/K valves, then converting the reg to a yoke configuration before going on the trip is in my opinion a better way to go. Your local dive shop should be abel to swap the parts for you during a pre-trip flow test for a reasonable labor charge.

I am pretty sure that you could get a yoke, retainer and knob for less than a DIN kit, but the end cost of a DIN reg and the yoke conversion parts would be comparable to just buying a yoke reg and a DIN kit when and if you ever need it. Either way, it's a lot cheaper than buying a DIN reg and then paying $60 or so for a DIN to yoke adapter that will press the reg into the back of your head throughout your trip.

In short, unless you need DIN, it makes more sense to just stay with yoke regs, especially for recreational divers who frequent resorts where DIN valves are not available - and that would be why so few DIN regs are sold in the US.

Zeagle, Apeks, Poseidon, Atomic, Scubapro and other similar DIN regulators, with their spin on by hand yoke convertors, do not press into your head. The DIN fitting attaches into the body of the regulator and extention is slight. However some brands like Sherwood and early USD regulators have a male part that the DIN fitting attaches to, and this extends it much further. I recall some DIN adapters being longer than others as well.

Removing the DIN and installing the yoke is not a good idea, if you need to do this very often. It's much like moving a car battery to another vehichle, doable but a big hassle. Every time the inlet to the regulator is removed and replaced it takes a little toll on the brass and plating. Once a year for a service is enough. I have many DIN tanks, no yokes, except a few ponies, so I use the spin on yoke adapter only on occasion for air travel, so it's better for me.

A side note: Scubapro changed their tollerances on the DIN fittings, they no longer seal on the older Sherwood and USD slant back DIN valves. For about 7 or 8 years these were the most common DIN valves in the US. When a few of my buddies dive with me and need extra tanks, I have to supply them with Zeagle first stages. Scubapro is aware, but doesn't care that they don't fit all DIN tanks.

IMHO, Chad

Back
Top Bottom