DIN vs Yoke Pricing -- SP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattimus

Registered
Reaction score
Folks,

I got a couple of questions about reg pricing.

Firstly, I'm in Canada, and as such we expect to be gouged by a whole variety of companies, not just dive gear manufacturers.

In my various research endeavours on the internet I've never really noticed that a DIN reg costs more than a Yoke Reg.... It seems my LDS charges 319 CAD for a new Scubapro Mk17 DIN. (This seems considerably higher than the 200 USD (235 CAD) that I have been told the MK17 retails for in america...see point #1). Yoke costs 279 CAD..... a difference of 40 bucks. Now, if the DIN reg were to come with a yoke adapter then we'd be all set.... but I just don't really get this. I've not seen this from other manufacturers and was wondering if this is the case for other brands as well.

I'll not even open the can of worms that starts with: I can get a MK17 + R390 shipped from scubastore (200 Euro [300 CAD]) for less than just a MK17 from my LDS.

If anyone else wants to open that can then I'd be glad to listen :)

I think I might know what they're doing. They might be ordering regs fitted with yokes, and then ordering DIN conversion kits and rebuilding each one individually. That would cover the cost difference. A DIN conversion kit is a little over $50 most places plus the time they spend.....

In other words..... They're probably doing things the hard way and recouping the costs by charging you more.

It seems to me that if you order it with the DIN kit already installed it's the same price. At least it is at the shop where I go, which is an Aqualung dealer.

It think it's worth your time to shop around.

R..

Diver0001:
I think I might know what they're doing. They might be ordering regs fitted with yokes, and then ordering DIN conversion kits and rebuilding each one individually. That would cover the cost difference. A DIN conversion kit is a little over $50 most places plus the time they spend.....

In other words..... They're probably doing things the hard way and recouping the costs by charging you more.

It seems to me that if you order it with the DIN kit already installed it's the same price. At least it is at the shop where I go, which is an Aqualung dealer.

It think it's worth your time to shop around.

R..
In the US, ScubaPro charges it's dealers more for a DIN 1st stage than a yoke. I don't have all the prices in front of me right now, but I believe the "hard way" is actually less expensive than ordering it DIN to begin with.

In South Africa the ScubaPro Regs are the same price for the Din or Yolk 232bar; the Din 300bar is slightly more expensive.

I switched to a Scubapro DIN last month. It was $60 including installation on the first stage.

xiSkiGuy:
I don't have all the prices in front of me right now, but I believe the "hard way" is actually less expensive than ordering it DIN to begin with.

I think you are right. That's how I did it.

i dive the rg2500 from dive rite and they include both. the yoke adapter just screws off and your left with a din adapter no extra cost.

Thanks All.... at least I know the difference in price is not a feature of my local economy, more a feature of the North American economy it would seem.

I was thinking about switching outright to the dive rite because they seem to be developping a reputation for being bulletproof, but I'm currently diving a SPMK25 that is a "scubaflow" when it gets cold, that's why I'm thinking of switching to the MK17, it would seem to be the most economical way out of my problems at this point.

as far as Dive Rite goes the RG2500ICE is great i am from Victoria and div eyear round as well i have taken it ice diving in alberta no problems highly recomend it. very little turbulance and have never had a free flow 150+ dives. you can also get the maintenance books online for it and the kits are not that much either.

Back
Top Bottom