Anyone Play Pranks on Fishing Lines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DementialFaith:
::edit:: nevermind... just whining about local sport fishermen...

I wouldn't do it, nor would I condone it but I've heard a nine iron and a few old balls is a pretty efficient way to get a reckless boat or jet ski to move away from the dive site.

Twice, and they both deserved it. My wife(at the time) and I were entering the water at Marineland and two guys walked over near us and began casting over our heads. Marlyn asked them to wait until we were out of the way before they did something that stupid. As we swam out on the surface, one of them casted over us again. Near the end of the dive we found a half eaten Halibut near the cove. We took it over to where our "friends" were fishing. Marilyn carefully placed their hook into the dead halibut and yanked on the line. When we got to the beach the guys were perplexed about their catch. Marilyn told them she saw a Great White take half their halibut right off their line. :D
On another occasion I was at Ship Rock, Catalina Island. The water was crystal clear with no current whatsoever. I was at 70 feet when I heard a boat overhead. My bubbles were going straight up toward the boat. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an anchor headed right for me. If I hadn't seen it, it would have hit me in the back of the head. They had to see my bubbles because they dropped the anchor right into them. I took the anchor and shoved it into a hole between rocks as far I could wedge it. I should have waited around the see if they were willing to pay a diver to free their fouled anchor for them.

when some jerkoff diver screws with my legal right to fish I start hucking the biggest rocks I can find in the water, if they're going to ruin my day fishing I'm going to ruin their day diving.

there is no excuse for messing with the guys trying to enjoy a nice day fishing.

now if I'm diving and somebody decides to troll around my surface bouy......

I was in Bimini diving with some "friends". Two of them stayed topside while my dive buddy and I dove Tuna Alley. The two topside apparently got bored and started casting away. They snagged a 'cuda and one of the idiots decided to hack it up and toss the bloody remains back in the water. Needless to say, the slick attracted quite a few more ‘cudas and pretty good sized Caribbean Reef shark, which made our ascent back to the boat a little nerve racking. Idiots.

In college (long before I started diving), my roommate (a diver) told me this story:

"I was spearfishing one day, and came across a fishing line that had gotten caught in some weeds. So I swam over, followed his line down, found the tangle, and stole his weight."

For a second I thougth he was gonna be a decent human being... :) (he was actually a pretty good guy)

Best solution I've ever heard of for problem boats.

----------------

So there I was, taking photo's when this anchor nearly clips my dive buddy right in the ear! I was pretty taken aback - but not nearly as much as my buddy. Luckily, he had thought ahead.

After tying their anchor line to the largest rock we could find, we carefully ascended... me with my camera, and him with a spare boat plug!

We surfaced right beside the boat, and using some not-so-complimentary language, told the fishermen to watch what they were doing. One fishermans reply was "What are you going to do about it?"

My buddy responded with "Not as much as you are - hope you like swimming!" and tossed the boat plug into the boat!

I happily snapped many pictures of panicking fishermen, scrambling to pull in their lines and take off, only to discover they were tied to a large rock...

raf:
I was in Bimini diving with some "friends". Two of them stayed topside while my dive buddy and I dove Tuna Alley. The two topside apparently got bored and started casting away. They snagged a 'cuda and one of the idiots decided to hack it up and toss the bloody remains back in the water. Needless to say, the slick attracted quite a few more ‘cudas and pretty good sized Caribbean Reef shark, which made our ascent back to the boat a little nerve racking. Idiots.

I fail to see how that would be nerve rackign, cuda arn;t dangerous, and sharks are always fun :D

Seriously, if a fishing boat has not respect for divers, chances are no one onboard is a diver, which means that none of them can dive... So agitating divers is a really really bad idea consider none of them can undo whatever damage divers could have done.

Boogie711:
After tying their anchor line to the largest rock we could find, we carefully ascended... me with my camera, and him with a spare boat plug!

I happily snapped many pictures of panicking fishermen, scrambling to pull in their lines and take off, only to discover they were tied to a large rock...

nasty !!!

Boogie711:
So there I was, taking photo's when this anchor nearly clips my dive buddy right in the ear! I was pretty taken aback - but not nearly as much as my buddy. Luckily, he had thought ahead.

We surfaced right beside the boat, and using some not-so-complimentary language, told the fishermen to watch what they were doing. One fishermans reply was "What are you going to do about it?"

My buddy responded with "Not as much as you are - hope you like swimming!" and tossed the boat plug into the boat!

:11: Oh my!

Back
Top Bottom