Anyone Play Pranks on Fishing Lines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuscleDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone out there has seen a fishing line w/lure and done anything to mess with the fisherman up in the boat like tie a piece of bottom junk to the lure etc..

Generally no. The only times we've been vindictive enough to do anything has been when they blatently acted unsafely or ignored flags etc. My view is if everyone respects each others water activities its a lot easier.

A few incidents we have acted. Diving in a shallow bay near cliffs with trainees. Absolutely flat calm sea, divers towing an SMB with just the boat covering. Fishermen on the rocks. Despite being no more than 25ft from the fishermen, bubbles visible and SMB on the surface they repeatedly cast their lines right where the divers were. After being asked by the safety boat could they please try to avoid them they continued to do it stating we didnt own the sea. Divers surface and one of them was actually struck with a hook.

Result was the 2nd wave in with fishermen doing the same both their lines were tied together and attached to the largest boulder we could find under water.

Other one is a wreck popular with divers and fishermen alike. 3 dive boats circling the area, all flying international A-flags with divers in the water. Fishing boat comes steaming towards the wreck on the plane (so high speed) right over where divers were totally ignoring the flags and very narrowly missing a pair that had just surfaced under a bag. To make matters worse the fishing boat (weekenders etc) stopped over the wreck and threw an anchor in again not checking to see where divers were or caring. This anchor very nearly hit a pair of divers on the wreck itself. The result was their anchor was cut and the anchor line tied VERY firmly into the wreck.

Most water users are fine but some seem blindingly arrogant, totally oblivious to maritime law and signals and act in an unsafe way. Its only this group of people that warrant action.

MuscleDiver:
Just wondering if anyone out there has seen a fishing line w/lure and done anything to mess with the fisherman up in the boat like tie a piece of bottom junk to the lure etc..

Yes. When boats were trolling in areas clearly marked with a Diver Down flag. I suggest the use of very heavy gloves and making sure to have knife in hand. If possible make sure the bozo isn't using heavy monofilament. Grrrrh. Mr. X

No, but I tried to help some kid on a jetty catch a tautog. I took his line and placed the bait directly in front of the fish. That big tautog just wasn't interested! i guess it must have been waiting for something tastier-Oh Well!

Rap

Generally no, but one time we had some guys casting off a dock at our group needless to say my line cutter was used..

When they are fishing in no-zones, I cut them all the time! I have also cut many an anchor that was carelessly dropped in coral. That usually ended their day fo fishing!!
Capt Tom

Yeah. I was diving in a lake where my cousin was fishing nearby. I grabbed one of his tennis shoes from the car and took it under with me. He was furious with me when he "caught" his own soaking wet shoe.....but still makes for a good story at Christmas time. ;0) I guess we can do stupid things like that with family.

Got hooked in the leg at the Monterey Breakwater once on a night dive and cut the line. My fault. I got too close to the rocks.

My wife had been walking along the breakwater as I came in, following my light, and later told me that the fisherman felt terrible about hooking me.

Funny, at the time, all I was thinking about was the hole in my dry suit.

Nope nothing yet , but i have gotten the chance to watch the other side of fishing a few times. I almost cut one free the other day , very small fish just chillen with a hook in its mouth , couldnt pull hard enough to alert the person fishing he has a fish .

Agree with String and others. Unless fishers are acting irresponsibly or aggressively, there is no reason to hassle them by messing with their lines. Of course if I am diving properly (with flag displayed, etc.) and they are dropping lines too close to my site, that would suggest irresponsible behavior on their part. Then they would deserve some action.

This is rarely a problem for me since fishing is not permitted in the dive park, and the DM on board will warn off fishers that come to close while I'm diving off Scuba Luv's King Neptune or other dive boats.

We all need to show more respect towards those with differing attitudes with the hope that the respect will be reciprocated towards us (and other divers).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom