so California boaters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go its usually on a friday morning and I have always got a mooring,with the exception of some holidays.Occasionally they will kick me out to descanso or farther out if I get there too late and it can get kind of rough out there not to mention a long dinghy trip to the docks.I have never anchored in the anchorage at avalon but I hear its pretty deep(100'or so) so unless you have a windlass it could get ugly. I also recommend getting enough fuel for both ways the fuel on the island is over a buck more.1 more thing for diving if you have a dinghy and are diving the park they let you tie up to the cables surrounding the dive park(minor thing I know)but if its crowded at the steps sometimes its easier. Post a pic of the new toy,here or in the boating section theres a post for pics .........I am going to try to go over Feb 3rd so if you want head over let me know

wahooo!
thanks for all the help, fellas....
can't say enough about the people on this board...

welp...
it's a 2005 four winns vista cruiser 268....can sleep 4 comfortably...
has a merc 6.2L motor w/ bravo 3 outdrive DP.

it sure is a fun little boat....and i am hoping that when summer comes along.....some of you guys could come aboard and we can go dive italian gardens, etc. at our own pace! wahooooooo!

i live in long beach....it's in a slip here in the marina pacifica condo......

i've read, researched, etc. all i can.....now i think i am ready for that boating class!

as for the radar....looking into a new furuno vs. raymarine.......

got a quote from the local shop......new radar, plotter, sounder, 2 more speakers for the arch, and the instill of a lcd tv (tv not included).....all for $6000. is that reasonable? (it's the furuno 1724 vs raymarine c70).

anyhow, thanks for the wealth of info! i have some cold drinks in the fridge! you guys are all welcome to it!

take care,

-dan

If you need some help going over come summertime, let me know. BTW: I can get moorings at Isthmas and Emerald Bay, and possibly Avalon. And, I've got access to the DRYC shore facility at Cat Harbor.

I used to do it frequently until Gas just was too much.
A few points:
You can not count on bringing your scuba tanks on the water taxis so I would suggest having a tender. Also depending on which dock you use, you may have a trek so a dolly of some type may be advised.

There is a trash service that comes around each day. So bring a stack of ones and plenty of 20 gallon trash bags to take advantage of it. Oh, I think moorings are 50 cents a foot per night. To get one, when you reach the harbor (either one) just get inline behind boats being tended to by the red harbor patrol boats. They'll come to you and assign you a mooring. There's some alternatives but I'm guessing you'll go to avalon your first trip.

The waters off Catalina get very deep very quickly. If you intend to anchor then plan on 200' depths plus a long scope including plenty of chain.

There are some wonderful dive spots around the island that the dive boats rarely visit, so don't be afraid to move around and try things.

When you are ready to go for your first time, PM myself or someone who has done it before, you'll want a heads up on how to use a mooring. Not hard on powerboat but if you want to watch someone embarrass themselves, watch a sailboat crew do a mooring for the first time. oh, and forget about getting a mooring on holiday weekends.

There is a Vons on the island for those things you forget, but boat parts are limited so be ship-shape before coming over.

There is a head clean out, fresh water hook up near the lifeguard dock in avalon harbor. Do your refueling (if you have to) very early in the morning. FYI, crossing between 6-noon is very easy, after that it can get rough.

Previously mentioned awareness that you're crossing shipping lanes is wise advise. Those ships move deceptively fast. I always planned on crossing astern of any I saw. If you don't have one (I did not read your equipment list) be sure you have a GPS and know how to use it. They are wonderful and will make you look good to your crew if you use it right.

Bring battery operated devices, as its easy to run down your batteries. I assume you'll do some overnight practice trips local to make sure you have everything you need.

Good luck, My wife and I really enjoyed these mini vacations and had some wonderful dives.

No offense was meant, I may have not been clear, I was referring to the first time a sailboat crew uses the mooring system at Catalina. If you've never done it before and don't know what to expect, combined with seas and anything but a headwind, it can be quite challenging. Once you've done it, yes its very easy.

Since I both Sail and Motor to Catalina, I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.
My appologies if I was not clear.

lol!
keep it coming!

learning much,
thanks to ya'll...

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom