so California boaters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

could you do it with one hand missing and half a left leg? ... or how about with both eyes closed? now thats a test of a real man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

thanks all!
sorry for the long hiatus......

anyhow! it's in the slip! and sure!! anyone is welcome to tag along!!

summer time! here we come...

-dan

A couple of things to consider.

I usually make a week long trip to Catalina in September, The viz is good, the water is the warmest it gets, and I never have a problem getting a mooring. This could be tough to do if you still have kids in school, but I highly recommend it.

Hen rock at the west end of Whites Landing ( about 1.5 miles west of Catalina) is a nice shallow dive and you can anchor in a sand bottom at 50-60'.

Indian Rock, about the same distance west of the Isthmus, is also a good shallow dive ( 40' max.) but there is not much room to anchor. OTOH, you can get a mooring right by the rock.

Always give directions as West or East. It annoys the locals when you talk about the North or South end of the Island.

The moorings are operated by two different entities, Avalon and Two Harbors. When you rent a mooring from one you can usually shift your mooring temporarily to another one in the same jurisdiction to make a dive, so you can get a mooring at the Isthmus for the night but dive at Indian Rock during the day.

My favorite dive in Catalina is Ship Rock, but anchoring there is a real bear. There is a limited area with depth less than 100' and it is surrounded by rock pinacles. If you can get someone who knows the area to go with you the first time it would really help. Try to dive it at high tide.

deputydan1:
thanks all!
sorry for the long hiatus......

anyhow! it's in the slip! and sure!! anyone is welcome to tag along!!

summer time! here we come...

-dan

Hi Dan,
I'm always up for a boat dive if you ever need a extra diver or two just PM me.

Happy Diving
John

thanks fellas....
will keep you posted....

took her down to corona del mar today......was great fun...saw tons of seals, and a school of 7 dolphins!!

-dan

Back
Top Bottom